1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

PATBAROK likes this.
  2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I could use some suggestions as I'm shopping for a watch. Currently my nicest time piece is a stainless steel Tissot, was around $500. I like it fine for every day duties and it's largely the purpose it serves. I have the opportunity to get something nicer but I'm not sure what direction to go in. I know of the major brands like Rolex, Tag & Omega. Rolex doesn't really appeal to me and while I like Tags, I feel like Omegas are a bit more special. I want something that has heirloom potential. Not a fan of gold/gold accents, prefer metal bands to leather but not opposed to leather. I've browsed a good bit of this thread and have spent a bit of time on Jomashop. I see a lot of other brands listed on there - any of them worth checking out? My budget is about $3k. Willing to go a bit higher for the right one but not by much.

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I don't think Tudor can be beat in that price range. Omega is the other obvious choice. I still think you get more bang for your buck with Tudor. For about $3k you can get a Tudor Black Bay with a metal bracelet, in house movement, Rolex quality and is a certified chronometer. That's going to be hard to beat.

Supergirl, worthless and nd4spd like this.
  4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

For the 3k price range and something that will never go out of style or demand: Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch - manual wind hesalite crystal. With the new reintroduced 321 movement about to drop you should be able to score a second hand in your budget no problem.

Other than that - Tudor Black Bay 58 or any other Tudor that strikes your fancy.

Supergirl and nd4spd like this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The Speedmaster is what I'd buy if I ever got to that point. Unfortunately there's too many fun motorcycles I can buy for that price and I'm ashamed to admit that I really like my iWatch.

nd4spd likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

I agree with above.
    Look for a nice Tudor or Seamaster/Speedmaster.

Happy hunting

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hmmm, for a first watch I might look at the '007, an automatic Tag or an Oris. Yeah, not going to worth much on the second hand market but a first good watch (which should be an automatic) who cares about selling it? Good ways to get into watches without killing the bank.

Shit, a Tag F1 quartz wouldn't suck.

8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Dave makes a good point.

I don't have a Speedmaster Moonwatch but it will probably be my next purchase. That being said, it is a bit of an enthusiast's choice. The hesalite crystal scratches very easily. It is manual wind so you have to wind it every day. It will also be over $3k for a new one.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Manual wind can be a pain in the ass. Neat and I really wanted a stripped down (no second hand, no date, nothing but two hands and some numbers on the dial), manual wind watch right up I had one for awhile. :D

Not horrible but if you space out for a day or three, you're back to square one. lol!

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

nice. how much % under?

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Not sure if the style appeals to you, but a pre-owned Breitling could also be an option.
    https://www.jomashop.com/preowned-1-breitling-watch-a1332024-b908-152a.html

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

^^ 46mm though, yikes. That's my main beef w/ Tag too is the lack of size options, although they just did a limited edition in the 40/41mm size.

Black Bay 58 is my pick in that price range.

13. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't seen Tudors before but after looking at a few it's definitely on the list. I like Breitlings as well but I didn't think they had any in my price range. For some reason I thought they're all in the 5 figure (or higher) range so I hadn't considered it.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Here are some places where you can look at pre-owned, set pricing parameters (high/low), select style (dress vs. diver vs. chrono) and see what you like
    https://www.jomashop.com/
    https://www.crownandcaliber.com/
    https://www.bobswatches.com/
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/

nd4spd likes this.
  15. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

How does chrono24 work? Are the sellers reputable and/or does the site protect you in some way?

EDIT: There's a whole FAQ link that I overlooked.

New question, has anyone had success with chrono24?

16. ChemGuy

I think chrono24 is from slightly high to WTF you smoking on prices

17. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Been mentioned many times before, but Hamilton would be a good choice in that price range. Though I might suggest that a Tudor will hold its value better in the long run.

18. ChemGuy

Mmmm...Hamilton....

Actually the 3K range gets you into some sweet vintage stuff. This is my favorite...real classic watches and unfortunately have seen quite the price bump the last few years so I havent found one i like and had the cash at the same time....You can maybe find one for around $3k...maybe.

1960's-70s Hamilton Chronomatic - Panda ref 11002-3
    [​IMG]

And as with all classic watch companies they cashed in on their classics with a re-issue. You can get those new for about $1500....but i dont think as nice as the original

https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-i...ru8v6zo16k_i885u2WvEobkmD18_KkZxoCxugQAvD_BwE

19. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Let me know when you want to sell that Panda :D

20. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Are the leather bands for these easily acquired after one wears out? Or is aftermarket the better route? That's my main concern with a leather band vs steel.