1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any updates on Red Bull Rookies Cup Selection?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Oct 15, 2014.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh yeah, then I agree, that really sucks. But you are right about the lap time thing. That is how they have gauged themselves their whole lives. Fuckin Politics.

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Same reason my daughter will never be in a beauty pageant.... No real rules.... I like wrestling and racing....

3. khill

khill Well-Known Member

The note I recieved after the first 10 min of being there.... "total F-shop politics side show"

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Heard the same last year. Save your money, put it into your program at home.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Hasn't that been said for years though?

6. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

they do look at laptimes but don't release them to anyone, not even the riders and parents, but thats just a small piece of the puzzle. they look at line position, how they use the gear box and..... the rest is politics.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I think the parent's income can be a deciding factor, among other things. Remember, Red Bull owns a piece of the kids they accept for several years after they are done. They probably want to know the kids have the resources to continue. As with most things in life or racing, it's all about the money. As much as I would like to go just to see how we stack up, to me it looks like a fool's game for American families. The return on investment is simply not there. I have high hopes that the new "AMA" lightweight spec class will put us on the right track. Failing that, we will continue to race strictly for fun with no long term plan.

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Total bullshit...if that was the case riders like the Gillims and Beaches would never have made it. Yes there have been riders that I am sure income had a factor in the decision, but talent and future worth also play a big part. Hell, they even consider parents weight and height.
    Think RB might be scoping out FB and seeing families selling Tshirts just to get to the tryouts might be a factor???
    The Americans face an uphill battle right from the start, whether it be the RBRC or the Metrakit challenge or whatever.
    Sorry more of the US kids did not make it, but it is what it is... Or maybe they are just choosing the most talented riders with the best "presense"...JMO

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You don't think the financial ability to make all the rounds is even a consideration? From a purely business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to populate your program with riders who may not be able to complete the series. I know I couldn't do it. Disclaimer: I know nothing about the resources of any of the riders beyond those decidedly middle class kids my boy races with. I do know a couple of kids who should have made it if lap times were a large factor.

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Like I said, if Financial status was a "big" part of it then some of those with big talent would not have made the cut...but I am sure it does factor in somewhat.

11. I know the selected rider and family. We have raced with and hung out together. Inome had nothing to do with it. That boy races with more heart and talent I have seen recently, at least on the west coast. There is equal heart and talent in the east for sure. There is next year.

12. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I didn't read what Nigel said as "if you got enough money you can buy your kid a seat". I read it as "they may not give a seat to a kid who's family cant afford to get him to every round."

13. phen22

phen22 Member

1. With the exception of Ruben, who struggled on the 2stoke, ALL of the American kids rode amazing and fast. i admit we did better than i expected. i thought the spanish and itallians would kill us. They were fast but we held our own.
    2. Money DEFINITELY wasn't a factor. If it were, the Hernandez's would be LEAST likely. Plus, how would they know income? They didn't get our SSNs when we applied.
    3. Like Wiest said, Peter Clifford in the briefing said that they looked at how the kids used the track and the motor.
    4. strictly using lap times would be very difficult. Some of the kids had ridden and, i think even raced, that track before. Others only got 2 fifteen minutes sessions per day. That wouldn't be fair. Red Bull had observers all around the track watching everything.
    5. I am sure there is some politics but it seems to be less than i expected. They could probably fill the entire grid with Spanish and Italians. I was surprised the Japanese kid didn't get accepted. I know Dorna needs to develop an audience in Asia and America. When i was watching the kid from Japan, he wasn't that far off the pace and i figured they would select him just to fill the demographic. They didn't. They took THREE Spaniards and two Italians. Demographics they have pretty well covered. The Finnish kids was unreal so they had to select them. I overheard a conversation between Peter Clifford and another observer. Peter: "yes that kid is fast but what he did was 'silly.'" Other: "folks won't be happy." Peter: "Folks are always unhappy." I don't know who they were talking about (not an amercan as we were not on track) but it gave some insight into the conversations the observers have.
    6. Lap times were not everything but I'm sure they wouldn't take someone 10 seconds off the pace. the only timing system that was public was the Racerdad Timing System. which isn't always that accurate. That said, i am pretty sure that all the kids selected managed to get a sub or near 1:30 lap times

14. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I would think based on the format laptimes have to be only part of the equation. My understanding is the bikes are shared so depending on time of day and how fresh the tires are will impact the lap time. Not to mention of course previous track experience.

15. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Gabriel Hernandez! do us proud!

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They never have been all about laptimes and people are ALWAYS pissed about the selections....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The kids aren't the issue.