1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any truck/RV mechanics on board???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, May 11, 2018.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ever have a desiccant filter (spin on type) just NOT wanna come off??? Any recommendations???

I've bought and tried using one of those strap wrenches, nada!
    I've bought and tried using one of those HD strap wrench that works with a 1/2" ratchet, nada!

Thinking about punching a hole completely through it next, maybe squirt some WD40 abouts where the threads are and then try using a large screwdriver to turn it, if that don't work, man....it's gonna suck having to buy a new air purger if I can't get this SOB off and/or damage something n the process of trying.

Any tips from someone in the know would be great!

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If it's made of metal, judicious use of a heat gun might help.

And leather gloves.

It must have not been changed in quite a while.

XFBO likes this.
  3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Did you drain the air from your system first?

XFBO likes this.
  4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Righty-tighty, leftie-loosey? :Poke:

XFBO likes this.
  5. Did you try a filter wrench(the ones that attach to a ratchet like a socket for the filter). I’d try that before punching a hole in it. Likely the gasket has taken a set on the block and filter. You can use a really small impact driver, sometimes the vibration will help break that seal.

XFBO likes this.
  6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Best invention ever.

Sidenote: I've been building a TEKTON supply of tools, made in Michigan, and are a less expensive alternative to Crapon/Matco etc, but better than HF and the like.
    oil filter pliers.jpeg

BigBird and XFBO like this.
  7. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

If you try pop something through the housing it may work but the can is thin enough it will likely tear as you try to torque it off. I have had success using a chisel on the top edge to set a groove in the rolled seam, then using a screw drive and a hammer to "shock" it loose

XFBO likes this.
  8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Warm the motor up all the way.

Shut off motor snd soray pb blaster on it several times.

Do this a few times and thrn spin it off. Have tools ready to do it while motor is still warm

Also, check the threads on the new one and make sure it isnt reverse thread.

Pipe wrench if you have room right by the threads will absolutely take it off.

Start with hammer and chisel loose if you have room

XFBO likes this.
  9. Side note. If you so go the rip filter in half route use a brass punch to get filter off the threads. Last thing you want is damaged threads on the block.

XFBO likes this.
  10. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Giant channel locks work if you have them. Poking a hole will likely just tear, then you're hosed. That Tekton plier set looks nice too if you're going out to buy something.

XFBO likes this.
  11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Being this is an air brake system, dryer. I’d bet it’s chassis mounted.
    Release all the air in the system, then grab the rolled seam at the base with big channel locks or a tool like above. Stay off of the can body, it’ll just rip apart.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies!!!!

Might try the heat gun trick just in case the gasket did seize up on the block and you are correct, I can see the filter is dated back to the build date, so yea it's the original desiccant filter!!! I had all the other filers changed out when I bought it at the 10 yr mark, I would have never guessed this thing wasn't ever changed before. :mad:

Yes.

Unlike oil filters, this one is completely round. :(

That tool was originally what I wanted to find n buy, I have one for smaller filters but this thing is roughly 5+" in diameter.

I've actually tried the air chisel, didn't budge.....honestly, I'm now wondering if it is possible this things has reverse threads, as mentioned above....kinda why I decided to post this up to see if anyone's ever heard of that before???

The filter actually sits on top of the air purge unit, so to make life easier I removed two bolts so I could get at the filter easier at the 3 oclock position now, still no luck though.

13. im an idiot. After skipping over a few posts I was thinking oil filter. Heat it up and WD or PB

XFBO likes this.
  14. use big ass channel locks, dumb question but it all the air out? According to the googles its standard threads. More than likely the gaske is just stuck on both surfaces from it being from 1902.

XFBO likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This reminds me, really should change mine too.

16. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Heat gun is a good go to but I don’t think it will help with this situation. The steel filter and aluminum spindle on the drier corroid and seize up. The aluminum air drier and tin outer layer will soak up all the heat. If it’s verrry old you may end up replacing the air drier all together. If it’s a Bendix as-is drier it should be really easy to find. Don’t be afraid to crush the hell out of the cartridge. If you don’t try to get off it won’t come off. Good luck!

XFBO likes this.
  17. Or leave it if it’s stuck :)

18. Wonder what the cost is just to replace it all? May be good insurance.

XFBO likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue how stuck it is but after fighting with airing up the tanks to get it into neutral I do know where it is at least :D

Granted the though of climbing under there in the gravel at the office isn't attractive in the least so it'll be a while.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Ridgid makes a big strap wrench for larger pipes that would work too.

The one at our shop goes to like 8" pipe.
    Ive used it for all kinds of stuff.