1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any regerts after going to SM form a sportbike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Jun 15, 2018.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

SM on a big track would get old. Shrink the track with the bike. Kart track ftw. A 450 can be too large for some kart tracks, but I would see the appeal if you're going to street it as well.

That said, I don't understand how/why people sink so much into their supermoto builds. It takes a lot to get a dirt suspension and dirt brake system race-worthy, but I think it's more worth-while to just buy 2 bikes for half each. YMMV, but I would sooner have an XR100 (or comparable) and a "vintage" 8 bike for big tracks. That combo would cost about teh same as 1 set up supermoto.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Thats why there are facory SM’s

Cam Morehead likes this.
  3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I bought a new KTM 450 SMR. Never spent a dime on it (Except oil/filter). Raced it for 2 years. Sold it.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did you add any weight to it to make it fair ? :D

5. Cam Morehead

Yep. To the flag pole I mounted on it. LMAO

6. Cam Morehead

The 85cc hurt feelings also in the 450 class... Go cart tracks.

Attached Files:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My Hyper is just fine on top speed as an SM :D

8. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

I made the switch from an R6 to a 450 for kart / supermoto tracks. I do miss the speed on the big tracks but racing and practicing on the 450 is so much cheaper. For me, I made the decision based on how much I wanted to ride. I could either do 6 weekends on the R6 or literally as much as I want on the 450. Sure I might change my oil more now but a set of slicks lasted me the whole season... It's not the same as riding a sport bike but I do really enjoy racing supermoto

G2G likes this.
  9. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Nope, that one I regert.

the relic room and R Acree like this.
  10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Do you have a preference between the Husky and the KTM?

11. baconologist

For the 450’s?

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

We used to have a decent SM series in FL. Robbie Bobby used to race it along with a bunch of other hard riding dirty bike loons. The grids were pretty deep with talent. Most of the races had to be ~10 laps... as that was the heat limit of the brakes working for those guys on dirt/street type tracks.

13. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

Gearing is very important. But holding them wide open on the straight ways is not highly recommended . Checking valves , oil changes are more often. Plus on very big track they are boring. Jennings is a pretty good but pbir is not that much fun. I kept switching between crf450 and r6 and there is a huge difference.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i had mine before Bushnell opened, raced the small FL series that frequented the Ocala flea market go cart track (didn't go to Starke) .. good fun. Rode jennings once, would never ride on a big track again with a SM. just not as fun, way hard on the bike.. you can't get gearing low ratio enough (not room for large enough front sprocket, and hub will only allow so small a rear sprocket).
    for a sm track, go cart track? cool. Big track ? no so cool.. would like to get a 250f or ninja 250-300 for bushnell.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I was thinking more in the sm 610 to 690/701. not doing a conversion, but getting one already in SM trim
    I have never done dirt and this style of riding would be completely alien so to speak. and me being on the larger side of the bell curve, a little moar couldn't hurt, right?
    Opinions on how a 610/690 would compare to a 450?

At what point are they HYPER? 900cc?

I have not seen the track since pre divorce , the 750 doesn't see a lot of ride time any more, so thinking an economical way to try to budget back onto the track. Selling and buying used is about the only way that can happen in the current state of affairs.

that being said, anyone need 07 oem 600/750 rims. no longer need the spare set

16. baconologist

I have 340-ish miles on my 701 SM. Its awesome

Fencer likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Husky does it right. I had a 450 and it was a beast. Now have a 510. Love it but miss my 450.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Exit of T10 to the entrance of T3 is about 1.25-1.5 miles, and it was wide open the whole time. Never had a mechanical due to anything concerning that. Supermotos do just fine on big tracks.

pscook and samizx7 like this.
  19. derblott

derblott Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Husky 701 myself, super fun on the street. Are there supermoto classes for these to run in, or is it all just 450s?

Fencer likes this.
  20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Supermoto stuff is usually really regional. I believe you are in the NW right? Here is your local series that is supermoto specific http://cascadiasm.com/