1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one racing GS500's?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alanjtc73n, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Alanjtc73n

Alanjtc73n Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know it's slow and uncompetitive but I gotta start somewhere. Does anyone have any information on the best setup? What are some good upgrades?...or better put easy and cheap upgrades. Does anyone have a kickstand for it? Any information on whatever will be greatly appreciated.

2. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

What do you mean "uncompetitive"? I raced a GS last year it it did alright. E-mail me for some good set-up info or for my phone number and give me a call.

Just to start you off...the bare minimums are RaceTech springs and emulators, DJ jet kit and clamp-on K&N filters, Yosh pipe w/race baffle, clip-ons, GSXR front master cylinder, braided lines and EBC HH pads, GSXR shock ('88-'91)(I have one)(or better yet, a fox or ohlins shock), and rear-set plates (I have some).
    Use Bridgestone BT-96's (110/70 & 140/60) or Michelin Pilots (110/70 & 150/60)on the stock wheels. The 150 rear is a little big, but it will work fine and the Pilots stick better.

Shane

3. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

You still trying to off load all your extra GS parts Shane? [​IMG]

Hi Allen <?> welcome to the brotherhood of the lead sled. There are quite a few of us on this BBS and you should subscribe to the GS-TWINS mailing list for more tips, info, and moral support.

Where do you live/ what region will you be running?

4. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

James,

He lives in Lafayette, IN and will be racing North Central. (Dude, it's in the info right under his name [​IMG] )

Am I right, Alan?

Anyway, I raced a GS500 last year and will be racing it again this year in select endurance events. My primary bike this year for the sprints will be a Yamaha SRX600. A slight step up from the GS.

Hammer's list of stuff is pretty right on the money. I ran Metzeler CompK's last year and they did real well. I'm probably going to switch to the BT96 to be a little more "modern".

The GS is a great place to start. It'll teach you all about corner speed and they're real cheap to own and race.

I race North Central, too. I will be glad to help with setup issues at the track if you like. Email me direct and we can swap contact info.

Greg Gabis
    #223 Novice.

5. Alanjtc73n

Alanjtc73n Well-Known Member

Wow...I didn't think I'd get this much support. I'll e-mail you guys in a little bit. Thanks in advance.

Alan Kwang

6. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Hey Alan,

I race GS500's during 1998 and 1999. I wrote up a few race reports and tech info which you can find at www.evilpumpkinracing.com

I've switched over to a MZ Skorpion to chase contingency dollars. Stock motor to stock motor the GS & MZ give very similar lap times and the entry fee to get started is a lot less for a used GS500. Both are great bikes but the SV650 stomps both of them.

Sign up for the GSTwins list because it's a good source of info. Plus the host Eurospares has some info about the GS line of bikes. FYI, I started the FAQ on the little GS line which is posted on the site.

Take care and get ready for big time fun at a reasonable price!