1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any input on Ford Transit 350? Owners ?

Discussion in 'General' started by roaring toyz, Dec 9, 2018.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's the current problem.
    I know that it's fly by wire, but the only way I can get it to start is to constantly pump the pedal while cranking.
    Once it starts, it runs ok. But something still is not right.
    Problem is around these parts, there's only 1 diesel mechanic. And he's booked solid for months.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Details? Passenger, cargo, extended, sliding door, axle ratio, miles, transmission model?

3. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

This the om642 3.0 v6 diesel or the in-line 5?

When I had a few bad glow plugs on my 3.0 crd what helped was to turn the key to on but not start for 20 seconds or so. The glow plugs take a while to get cherry red.

If I try to start right away it won’t start at all. If I wait the 20+ seconds it’ll fire up, sputter for a bit and then be fine.

That is if a few glow plugs are out, if the glow plug module is bad, no amount of waiting will do it. You should have a coolant heater. Plug it in for a few hours and see if it starts.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Think it is E350 with 7.3 diesel.

G Dawg likes this.
  5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

2003-ford-e350 super duty cargo-side_fte35012.jpg
    No idea on the axle ratio. Or trans. Apx 150k
    Like Zoran said, E350 7.3 extended cargo.
    I want to see if I can get it running right.
    New it looked like this

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  6. fastfreddie

Thanks for postin' a pic. That's a clean lookin' machine! Easily worth tree-fiddy. :D
    I'm holdin' out for extended with sliding door, tho'.

I do wish you luck.
    What about faulty injectors? You pumped water into 'em and it sat there, right? Maybe pitted/gunked up with corrosion?
    Ain't Melka our Man in that department? You'd think he would have an inside line on replacement injectors if yours are fubar.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's not mine.
    I forgot what the part that needed to be replaced . Guy never did give me a receipt.
    Was my daily driver when the water issue started.So it never sat.
    He removed the turbo. Diagnosis showed no faults after it was finished.
    We I tried to start it after sitting for a month, it started running rough.
    I did not want to take it back to the guy as it would have been sitting in his forest until he could get back to it.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

How long did you let it run? My 2000 f250 with the 7.3l runs like shit after it sits for a couple months. After a minute it clears up. It’s almost like it can’t prime the fuel system at first.

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I've got to replace one if not both batteries.
    Then I can start trouble shooting.

10. fastfreddie

:stupid: Fuel delivery issues made mine act all kinds of stupid but it was related to days of sub-freezing temps along with a long period of disuse. Being me, I found the best additive for the cold that wasn't sold in fleet bulk, "Diesel Power! Maximum Complete". Got it at a TA. I dumped half the 40oz bottle in. :D Ran like a dream. Not sayin' that's your problem but additives usually have stuff to clean/lubricate/increase Cetane rating, mileage, kill bio-growth, inhibit gelling, etc.

Is yours extended with sliding door? I'd be interested.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

All are swing doors

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I ran several bottles of Killem Biocide through it.

13. fastfreddie

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When you do fire it up, dump a bunch of the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in it and maybe even use their Deep Clean stuff, should help a bunch since it's been sitting.

15. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Bringing this back up as I'm in the market for a new work van. Currently have a chevy express 2500 with the 5.3 liter. It is a contractor van that doubles as the race van that hauls two bikes and all associated stuff. It's packed! I am considering the Transit 350 mid roof with the ecoboost motor. For work I would love the mid roof for access inside but the roof of the chevy has heavy duty racks that would carry a lot of lumber that is usually loaded by a fork lift and, although somewhat a pain, it can fairly easily be unloaded by hand off a 4' ladder. I'm worried about the mid roof height would make that impossible.

The other thing is that pricing one out the way I would want essentially means it will be right at 40k. Seems steep compared to the chevy that was 22k, even though it was in 2005.

16. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Probably ordering a 350 tomorrow. Now thinking I will go with the low roof instead of mid. Didn’t really have issues dealing with the bikes in a standard Chevy over the years. Really need to be able to access work material from the roof. Anyone want to try and talk me out of this?

17. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Go for the mid. No one ever complained about having too much room and it’s not going to affect gas mileage that much.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He does have a point about getting to a roof rack tho.

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Get the Mid and buy a landscape trailer for lumber and shit. The only vehicles i get away from faster than a semi, is a van with racks loaded with painters ladders or lumber. Eff that. I aint getting kilt by a ladder or 2x6 of some idiot carrying 2 tons of extra shit on the roof of their van.

JBowen33 likes this.
  20. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Swing by the dealer with your 4ft step and see what it looks like. Maybe it'll be ok to unload.