1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any input on Ford Transit 350? Owners ?

Discussion in 'General' started by roaring toyz, Dec 9, 2018.

1. roaring toyz

roaring toyz Well-Known Member

Awesome info guys TY!!

2. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

I have been in the market for a new van for next season. I have been looking at the transit connect xlt. I see you can fit a bike in the back plus gets great milage. Anyone had experience with them? Saw the "first" gen have problems? They are very cheap from a purchase stand point.

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Buddy of mine has one he uses for motocross. No head room and to fit a bike in there you have to put the front passenger seat fully forward. My buddy just ended up making the van a single seater.

4. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

I had a 2016 Ford transit, high roof that we built out. It was fun and had plenty of space.

BigBird likes this.
  5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

It sounds like that was the short wheel base. Ford site says the LWB has 87.6 in on the cargo floor. The rear door opening is only 45.5in, so it looks like you might need to pull the windscreen to get it in there. For the price difference, I think it makes more sense to go with the full size van.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I have a second gen 2015 with 150k plus miles and it’s been super reliable. Just oil changes and tires. It’s a bit longer than the first gen that only came in one length. There is a little less height though. It’s right at 7’ from the back of the front seats to the hatch.

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Yeah I have no idea what wheelbase he had. He traded it in after 6 months and got a pro master city with the high roof. By the looks of it you can fit a full size bike no issue. He likes it a lot better then the Ford. At least since I last talked to him.

8. Uncle Jesse

Uncle Jesse Well-Known Member

I have a buddy with a drw one that loads it full of stuff and pulls a 10k lb trailer on top of it. Seems to do ok.

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I have to agree on this. I have a 2017 Transit Connect Cargo Extended. I use it to transport bicycles. There's just enough headroom to fit them .
    I love it and and it's been very reliable. My only real complaint is that even with the extended, it's 4" too short to carry any 4x8 material without having the rear doors open.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chrysler Town and Country/Caravan :)

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I had 2 Caravans. Total shit.
    It's unfortunate that the Astro is now longer made.
    I had several of them also, one of the best vans I've ever owned.
    Except for the new one I bought in 2001.
    The Connect is all I need now since I'm not racing.
    Still have my 03 E350 diesel that's sitting idle.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Every Dodge/Chrysler vehicle I've ever owned was shit !

bored&stroked likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Same experience here, therefor I do not own them anymore and never will again. Way too many good vehicles out there to waste time with Chrysler or anything German that's not Porsche or a 55AMG Mercedes.

G Dawg likes this.
  16. Ed5726

Ed5726 Active Member

What does the beeb think of the GMC Savana Cargo Van?
    2500 reg wheel base 6.0L V8. 10k towing, Curb 5225, GVWR 8600, GCWR 16k.
    I built one on line for $37k.
    Thinking about pulling Grand Design Momentum 25g TH with 2 bikes.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is it for sale?

18. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

That will be a whole lot of trailer for a short wheelbase gasser. You’ll probably be close to 10,000 pounds with just options and water in the tank.

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I would consider it, but it has it's problems.
    Got water in the tank and chased fixing that for 2 years with algaecide. Ended up replacing the fuel tank.
    And replacing a bunch of other parts. Still does not run right and the mechanic that worked on it thinks it's a glow plug.
    I doubt I could get anywhere near what I would want to sell it for.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I guess it is possible, but in my experience a bad glow plug only hinders initial startup and not continued running?