1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any input on Ford Transit 350? Owners ?

Discussion in 'General' started by roaring toyz, Dec 9, 2018.

1. roaring toyz

roaring toyz Well-Known Member

Considering a Ford Tansit 350 as a race hauler.
    Wondering if anyone is using one and their input, experience?
    Will it pull a 12x8 trailer with bikes loaded well or is that too much to ask?

2. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

following

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

We sold a couple Winnebago Paseo's built on those, and so far they have been happy with the chassis. Twinturbo 3.5L goes like stink.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think the towing capacity is kind of weak compared to the old E-350

JBowen33 likes this.
  5. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

All of the euro vans have terrible towing capacity compared to the older style frame vans

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

One of the neighbors has a flooring company and switched to 350 Transits from F250's a couple years back. Still pulling his trailers too, I'll hit him up and get some feedback on towing. We want one also, Mid roof long wheelbase, no towing though so prob gonna get a gas non turbo. Couple years out for us yet.

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

It Will tow a 12x8 without you knowing it is even there.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Drove them at work for a month. CEL on multiple vans every few days after being cleared. Did I say they all had less than 2k miles on them, and between the three of them, don't think we were CEL free ever.

Steering was actually decent though, and not awful for a machine of its size. The transmission was meh. My buddy has a Sprinter van and said the Transit Connect was total trash in comparison.

Sent from my smatrfone

DRye likes this.
  9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I have a 2018 Transit 250 high roof, extended wheelbase, extended body that I use as a race hauler. I tow a travel trailer (4,000 lbs). 3.5L twin turbo, higher than stock axle ratio (I'll have to look at what I ordered . . . 3.75 maybe?).

3 bikes + spares + trailer (loaded to the gills): pulls great. 11 - 12 mpg fully loaded at 75 mph. Unloaded: 18 mpg at 75 mph. 20 mpg at 65 mph.

More room than a Sprinter. $6K less than a Sprinter and no diesel. The Ecoboost engine takes regular gas and goes like stink - best engine Ford ever made.

In my configuration, it is a big van with a lot of windage. But, I figured don't skimp on the size. To get the rear axle I wanted, I had to order the "Ambulance" package (2 batteries, HD alternator, etc). I'm 6'-2" so I went for the high roof. If you're under 6', the mid-roof will be adequate.

I love it. Still new to me, so I can't speak to long term issues, but so far, so good.

Cheers,

Dave

SnacktimeKC, K51000 and t11ravis like this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The Transit and Transit Connect are two completely different vehicles.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sorry Transit 350. We have the extended roof and extended wheelbase version

12. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

The Alpinestars guys got diesel Transits and the guy that rides with me the most has about 145k on it and its been pretty good. Recently he had some exhaust filter issues but otherwise its been pretty solid. I have a 20015 Transit Connect with 155k on it and its been bulletproof so far. Hell I'm still on the original brake pads haha! I am starting to think about what to get next though and I am thinking hard about going to the short/low roof Transit but I'd go either 3.7 or ecoboost. I wish they had the 2.7 ecoboost available just to get a little better mileage as that's the main hang up I'm having with going to the full size transit.

13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Not to mention the first gen (2010-2013) are 100% different from the 2014+ and there is a huge difference in reliability. The first gen vans are pretty much garbage.

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Just don’t do the 3.7 v6. Thirsty pig with having to scream to get any power out of it.

I think they’ll start putting the 2.7 and it’s little bigger brother the 3.0 ecoboost in more things soon. It’s an awesome engine.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No experience with 350s, but I can speak to the Transit 250 as I have a gang of them.

They’re actually a pleasure to drive. Seating position and steering kind of falls between the old E series and the Sprinter. You’re up high but don’t feel like a bus driver. Towing capacity is not great, but your little trailer will be no problem. We pull small trailers with them, the heaviest being maybe 4000 lbs, and they go down the road just fine.

All of mine have the 3.7l so far. I just ordered one with the Ecoboost, but I won’t see it for about 12 weeks. Power is good even with the base engine thanks to a really good transmission.

With a fleet of vehicles, you can usually find something you hate, but I haven’t gotten there yet with the Transit. Granted, my oldest one is two years old, but I literally don’t have one complaint. If I wanted to nitpick, there have been some service bulletins, but nothing major. I like them so much that I just ordered one for myself to build out into an adventure van, hopefully with double duty since the racetrack has been calling my name...

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Thought you built it out to take the in-laws to Disney, but we'll take your word for it :D

Sent from my smatrfone

SuddenBraking and JBraun like this.
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This just shows how wide the spectrum of experiences is. I’ve owned a few sprinters, and every one was a total pile of shit. The most expensive vehicle I’ve ever owned to keep on the road. My 2012 Sprinter had cost me about 60k to drive for four years, and I sent it away dead on a flatbed in for $6500. Not a great deal...

Transits on the other hand, have been perfect so far...

BigBird likes this.
  18. egomezent

egomezent Well-Known Member

Any pics of the build ?

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

He's got a Pilot for that.

JBraun and BigBird like this.
  20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Bunch of elephants around here...

BigBird likes this.