1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Home Inspectors Out There?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kyle602, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Kyle602

Kyle602 Well-Known Member

Just got laid off from my job of almost 15years.
    I've been considering getting into the home inspection buisness.
    Seems like it would be fairly low overhead and start up cost, plus I really like the idea of being self employed. It would be really satisfying to own/operate my own buisness.
    Anyone out there on the board have any exerience in this? If so any reccomendations on training/certification? I've been doing some research and it seems there are several options as far as training goes.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Kyle

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Home inspections... I suppose building experience would be a good start. I am amazed at the inspectors that just get a licence, and somehow are able to call themselves home inspectors. I would relish the fact that all home inspectors had years exp. building homes or contracting exp. That just is not the case. I am an appraiser, but at least got a 4yr degree in RE while working for an appraisal firm. It was 5 years later that i went on my own, and i only appraise in the 3 counties surrounding my home.
    Good luck with it, but im just jaded a bit. If you have building/contacting exp. PLEASE get the licence to add a "qualified" inspector to the ranks.

3. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

I deal with them everyonce in a while and would have to say that most are undertrained to say the least.

All you need is a flashlight, car, and a clip board and your good to go.:rolleyes:

4. Kyle602

Thanks,
    Yeah I've built a few homes and am planning on getting my contractors licence as well.
    I've considered becoming a full time contractor, but for now I'm leaning towards the inspection bit.
    Thanks for the input!

5. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

You say that like its an easy thing to get a contractors license in FL:rolleyes:

6. Kyle602

BTW the two homes I've sold had inspections done at the buyers request. The first one was very thorough, and I was very impressed with.
    The second one spent more time talking with me about my bikes than anything else and seemed to be undertrained.
    So I understand where you guys are coming from, but there are some good ones out there that are worth what they're getting paid. I would hope to fall in that category.
    I know how difficult it is to get a licence in Fl, especially now, I wish I would have done it years ago. Not that it was simple then, but it has become more difficult for sure.
    Thanks, Kyle

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005