1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any FOX shock gurus?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by britx303, Jun 1, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’ve got several Fox shocks, yet cannot find any user info on them, or basic tech info. Only mountain bike stuff comes up. Anybody have any info or know how to look up their spring rates,etc? Thanks Y’all

2. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

3. Chuck78

Chuck78 Well-Known Member

Fox Factory Shox / Fox Street Shox / Fox Gas Shox twin shocks? Or monoshock Fox Twin Clicker?

I've got the manual for the Fox Factory Shox (dirt version, plus emulsion supplement), but it has pretty much all the spring rate and valving/jetting setup options including spring rate paint color codes and wire diameters.

I'm a bit of a Fox Shox hoarder, twin shocks... Wish I had a Twin Clicker for my only monoshock, an '83 Suzuki PE175 2 stroke enduro... tough to find ANYWHERE...

4. Chuck78

Chuck78 Well-Known Member

Thor Lawson, Evolution Suspension Products. He is THE MAN for vintage Fox.

If you have Fox Factory Shox, I have that manual.

They are AWESOME shocks.

TJS and VFR#52 like this.
  5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

They’re all Fox twin clickers. It’s seems every time I buy a $100 craigslist Fzr600 in the middle of winter, there’s a Fox on them,luckily. Long story short, my Works Performance shock is way overdo for a rebuild and one of the Fox shocks looks like it was refreshed just before I bought the bike just for parts/spares. Went ahead and swapped it out and was noticeably better than the Works that was sprung and rebuilt for my BW 6 years ago. Currently a 40 lbs difference. The numbers on the Fox spring are 7.0/ #750 for whatever it’s worth.

6. TJS

TJS 1994 GSXR 750 and Bandit 400

Thor rebuilt two of my rear Fox for an old gsxr.

7. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I seen/helped rebuild my old hurricanes' Fox twin-clicker in a moto-crosser friends dark/wet unattached garage back in the late 80's. I dont remember much, but i do remember it wasnt that difficult, and there wasnt any modern specialty tools required, if I remembered right. I do remember being told/shown the mkost important part was bleeding the air out of the oil, and again, he did it w/out specialty tools. Just dont visually remember, been so long ago.

My understanding is that a FOX and current low-end Penske is pretty similar, in design.

There is a 2-part youtube vid floating around, where a guy rebuilds a dirty twin-clicker, step by step. I lost the bookmark in a HD crash, didint watch it in detail, but it is 1980's technology, so cant be that hard. Old/basic technology.

Any suspension shop could do a rebuild pretty easy, I would think.

Good luck.

8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I found video....I was wrong, it is a old-skool works shock, off a 4-wheeler, not FOX twin-clicker.

LOoks like the same design/tech as a FOX.....i would think it would be basically the same process for rebuild.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Martin at Traxxion Dynamics is pretty knowledgeable on the older stuff too.

ducnut likes this.