1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Ford Techs or Service Writers - need your opinion

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, May 2, 2016.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

My son's 2004 Ford Escape 3.0L V6 has been diagnosed as need new valve cover gaskets, o-rings, and spark plugs due to a leaking PVC hose. My bet is that while the source of the leak is identified (pvc hose), they are going for valve cover gaskets etc "just in case". Toss in various filters and a fuel injection service and the tab is $1,475.00 before tax.
    Now it's been 3 decades since I worked in a shop, and some things have changed, but this seems like an example of an over zealous service writer. I can't think of any reason to replace the valve cover gaskets etc unless the PVC can't be replaced without removing the valve cover.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Did you take it to a dealer?

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not saying it's for sure, but there's a really common issue with the 3.0 in the taurus that's similar to this. There's an elbow on the intake that cracks and leaks, throwing pcv codes. I fixed it for something like $40 on the car we bought my stepdaughter.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Yes. The dealer in question was recently bought out. We had minor services done since, but you can tell the employess don't seem to enjoy the new management. So the wife and son took it to the place we had been taken care of in the past. I'm beginning to think we may be looking for a new shop.

6. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

The service writer said it was the PVC hose when I spoke to him on the phone - surprised a PVC hose also calls for R&R of the valse cover gaskets, stc.

7. noles19

My dad works in up town at a small family(not mine) shop, he's been a mechanic for almost 40 years.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's probably cautionary. Since they're made of the same stuff and subject to the same conditions they probably assume that if one is bad they all are.

9. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

uptown charlotte?

10. noles19

Yes, place called queens crown on providence.

11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I'll have to check them out. I told the service writer not to touch it until he e-mailed me a breakdown of the parts and each service item so I can pull the fluff out of what he wants to do.

12. noles19

Cool, if you get to the point of wanting a second opinion Let me know and I'll give him a heads up, because if you just call the he may not be able to talk on the phone at that point.

13. noles19

What did you take it to the shop for first?

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Don't ever take a 12 year old car to a dealer. You're paying premium for "genuine" labor and parts, no fluff. And the service writer doesn't determine what needs to be done to your car so not sure why you keep wording as such.

15. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

yep, I'll take that second opinion.

16. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Son came home and told my wife his car wasn't running right, so she did what had been done in the past. I can't fault her for trying to address the situation, but neither of them even looked under the hood to see if some organ grinders monkey had taken up shop in there...
    :whoosh:

17. noles19

Gotcha, he said sometimes when you remove the spark plugs on those engines you can see that the valve cover gaskets are leaking, just a fyi.
    Did you want to call there tomorrow?

18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

pretty sure it wasn't a mechanic,and he was throwing some other services in there - various filters, injector service. That's why I asked for the detailed write up.

19. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Sure - working from home tomorrow. Should I just ask for Mr Clark?

20. 418

418 Expert #59

Just keep in mind if you wanna pull it out now you're gonna pay a diag fee.