1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any EZ Go Master Mechanics Robin Engine Here?

Discussion in 'General' started by FastByKids, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The ignition on these isn't magic, the only neat thing it does is have the ability to use the starter as a generator, and spin it two ways. Check your limit switches, also do some diode tests, your diagram doesn't show them but there are a few in the system. https://www.golfcartsforum.com/foru...go-workhorse-with-350-robins-engine#post43013 has a bit better diagram. They're all on the starter/charging side of the circuit, as a sanity check if the reverse beeper sounds when you're in reverse they should be good.

FastByKids likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Always think it’s about you, don’t ya James Taylor? :D

27 and A. Barrister like this.
  3. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Reported.

27 and pickled egg like this.
  4. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Thank you, I would of never figured that out. Will check tonight.

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

For yourself right?

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

You’re not even the asshole that lit the fart lately in here... let alone blown shit up! :crackup: Puns definitely intended! :cool:

A. Barrister likes this.
  7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Try different spark plugs ?

Does the motor run on starting fluid spray ?

If it has "weak" spark and you havent messed up it should still run on starting fluid spray.

What kind of voltage do you have at the plug leads ?

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No one ever called me insufferable. And lived. ;)

27 likes this.
  9. FastByKids

Yes, I'm on my 2nd set of plugs. First set was part of a "Tune Up" package from Amazon and didn't trust them.

I did try the juice and it didn't even try to cough.

Have not checked voltage at the plug leads. You have a range I should be looking for? I assume plug to ground? AC voltage?

10. A. Barrister

I actually did a little bit of sluthing on this engine. Based on the parts he already has replaced, I'm going to go with a bad solenoid. Probably really high resistance across the contacts, causing a voltage drop, so the ignitor doesn't want to fire.

To bad I'm on ignore so numb-nuts won't see this. Lol.

11. FastByKids

I think pulsar I ordered from Amazon was a scam. Only measures 200 ohms. The pulsar genuine from EZ GO is a tad over 500 ohms.

The original one which most likely got damage from power washing measures 20 ohms.

Won’t be able to install tonight. Have a school board meeting. I’m really hoping this is it.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You need to find a Master Mechanic.

badmoon692008 and beechkingd like this.
  13. 03RumbleBee

03RumbleBee Well-Known Member

Someone else mentioned checking all the grounds. I found this the be an issue on mine. I also found the key switch on mine can catch in between off and on, like Accessory on a car. It would flood out if you didn’t realize it was in the middle because it would still crank but not spark.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=129854

FastByKids likes this.
  14. FastByKids

SOLVED!!!!!

As I thought I had damaged a component during the power wash. The Pulsar (pick up) was reading less than 30 ohms. We ordered a brand new one from Amazon and that's when our journey down the rabbit hole started. Long story short the Amazon pulsar does not meet EZ GO Specifications. Found out a couple days ago it should read over 500 ohms. Out of the box it was only reading 200 ohms. Because we assumed the pulsar was good we continued on the troubleshooting tree changing out Ignition coil, plugs, plug wires, voltage regulator, CDI.
    [​IMG]

After we sourced the proper pulsar we ohmed out and it did indeed read 500 ohms. Unfortunately slight modifications were needed to the bracket as the mounting holes would not line up.

[​IMG]

After installing the pulsar the cart still refused to start and again the same issue of no spark. So I started going backwards thinking that perhaps I had more bad parts from Amazon. I put the system back to as found with the original parts besides the plugs and plug wires. Last part I removed was the voltage regulator.

Whelp, when you mess up you need to own it. And yes I did eff up. My attention to detail was lacking and the new voltage regulator was installed in the wrong orientation. The three wires were crushed to ground.

[​IMG]

We now have a running cart! Thanks for all the help!

https://youtube.com/shorts/VklOXV0QwjE?feature=share

long path/road likes this.
  15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol so you didn’t need a master mechanic. You just didn’t need to check the cheapest/easiest source of Chinese junk.

badmoon692008, RRP and FastByKids like this.
  16. A. Barrister

I hope he doesn't work on his kid's bikes.

badmoon692008, pickled egg and RRP like this.
  17. FastByKids

Well, it was certainly a kick in the balls.

If the manual had stated to check for 500 ohms on the Pulsar this adventure would of been over. That information did come from a "Master Mechanic" via a EZ GO FB group.

Unfortunately this series of EZ GO Cart is no longer having parts manufactured by the factory. That Pulsar I finally located took almost a whole day to source at a very significant cost increase from the Amazon "junk".

I've been racing / buying Chinese "Junk" for the past five years. This is the first blatant issue I've had with a Chinese replacement part.

Lesson learned, and now I feel confident taking on more of these Robin Engine carts if found on the cheap!

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

:Pop:

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Was it really the pulser, or the regulator shorting out?

20. FastByKids

Yes, the initial issue was damaging the pulsar when I power washed the engine. It was reading less than 20 ohms.

[​IMG]