1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Experience With Log Homes

Discussion in 'General' started by RollieManollie, Mar 24, 2016.

1. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

One came up for sale in my neck of the woods on 7 acres that I put an offer on and it's getting real close to my max offer. Besides the annual maintenance costs and up keep of staining these things every 3-5 years any buddy have more in depth experience? I will not be able to find out much about the history of this one as the owner past away but, it was built in 1985, in great shape and it appears it does not need anything.

However, I've been hearing more and more that once you own a log home, you are stuck with a log home as they are much harder to sale.

Any experiences? Wera Board Always Knows Best!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Check insurance on it - Emily has one and it just skyrocketed on her. Other than that maintenance is higher as you know although it should be totally dried and settled by now which helps. No clue on resale sorry.

RollieManollie likes this.
  3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

mine was built in 1835 and moved to its present location in 1970.Other than touching up the chinking every once in awhile,Ive done squat as far as maintenance.There is a bump for insurance over a regular home,in my case I think it was about 700 a year.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My MIL built hers around 1973 and I can't remember any maintenance issues that she's ever gone through. I helped her add a section on in 1984 (that's when I learned what "chinking" is) and I don't think there has been anything done to that section either. I have no clue on the insurance part.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wife and I just did a remodel on one. It doesn't seem to be any more maintenance intensive than a conventional home, but things that need to be fixed are often not standard off the shelf Lowes' items. Changes to the floor plan (if you want to renovate) can be a challenge. If the interior walls are log, then adding outlets or cable is a challenge. I have no idea on insurance... all in all, my impression is that the reality of owning one is not as attractive as the idea.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Check with Orvis. He and his wife have been living in one they built decades ago.

PS: It's much nicer than the one he was born in. Gt hot and cold runnn' water and 'lectricity and even toilets!

XFBO, Shenanigans and RollieManollie like this.
  7. RollieManollie

Good point about the insurance, I actually got a quote through my State Farm agent that has all my business now and it was $300.00 higher per year than my regular home. I figured I may be able to save a few bucks if I shop the insurance around, but it was an increase never the less.

I think my strategy is to remain at my counter offer and just wait it out if they don't accept. I'm figuring that it takes a special person and right circumstances to buy a log home, especially after reading internet articles stating they are a PIA with maintenance could deter a lot of people. I'm also worried about it appraising. I work for a bank and know some appraisers that told me there are little if no comparable's available - I would put a new appraisal contingency in the next offer.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The comparables will bite you if you're not in the mountains with a bunch of them nearby for sure. Screws up on our house too, they keep comparing it to places half the size on a .5 acre lot in subdivisions :rolleyes:

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Excellent point. The one we remodeled was on a lakefront lot. The property was as much a part of the value as the house. I don't think a log home without a view would be desirable at all.

10. RollieManollie

Thanks for this...I was assuming correct about the appraisals. This particular log home I'm looking at is on a private lane but definitely in the country. No neighbors except for working farms.

I'm generally risk adverse and I worry that if I need to get out of this in 5 years due to work relocation, etc. it may be harder than a normal house.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you were looking at the last home you are going to buy, I'd say go for it if it makes you happy because what it's worth when you die doesn't matter. Absent a great deal relative to homes of similar size in your community, I would pass if your still mid-career and stand a chance of getting transferred or relocating.

12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Manotti is never moving he's a legend where he lives.
    Legends don't move.

Edit- Oh yea and the college girls there's that.

Ride safe,
    AAron

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Probably depends on how it was built too. I worked for a contractor one year in the early 90's, we put up 2. The logs were milled all 4 sides with double tongue and groove and a channel for a foam strip between them. Held together with 12" pole barn spikes.No chinking.

14. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Check for the following:
    1. Rot in the bottom logs especially if there is an attached deck/porch.
    2. On the inside look at the logs below the corners of windows for water stains.
    3. Look at the bottom sill on all of the windows. If it is pushed up in the center this is an indication that there is pressure from above.

I've been in my log home for the last 5 years and really enjoy it. It is a D Shape with no chinking.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

True log home with grout between logs or milled D log faced? Avoid tru log unless you want to own it till you die.

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

shouldn't you be calling someone about a quickshifter LOL

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

What kind of wood are the logs? Also, where are you in the US? The reason that I ask is that in some climes pine does fairly well but in other areas of the US wood rot (fungi) will take pine pretty quickly. Here in Central Texas where the humidity is usually in the 50% or higher range Cedar is the only way to go.

Also, the most user friendly kind of logs are the tongue and groove type instead of the logs that have to be chinked regularly. Log homes can be pretty trouble free unless they are not taken care of on the exterior. Fungi and ultraviolet is what takes wood back to nature so care has to be taken to protect it from deterioration. Even on my Northern white cedar logs I keep it painted regularly with an opaque paint that protects it from sunlight. With cedar I don't have a problem with fungi so that's not a problem.

Our home was built in 1981 and the logs still look just as they did when we built it. By that I mean that I've had no wood deterioration at all. A couple of my neighbors with logs made of pine have had to replace some of the logs every few years. One thing about wood though. It's a natural insulator and my utility costs are at a bare minimum. A naturally dried (not kiln dried) 6 inch log has the same R value as 36 inches of concrete. My whole 2200 square foot home is cooled in the Texas heat with a 24,000 btu window unit. I do have an 8000 btu unit in the master bedroom simply because we sleep better when it's cool.

I can answer (I think) specific questions if you have them.

By the way, I just though of a test to do. Take a screwdriver and walk around outside tapping on the walls with the end of the screwdriver handle. What you're looking for are "hollow" sounding logs. Most of the time when fungi gets into the wood it will start the wood fiber destruction on the inside of the log leaving the outside looking ok. (for awhile that is)

18. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

I think your location has a lot to do with that. In upstate NY, log homes go for good money, even older ones. My parents get 2-3 offers a year from various people that want to buy their log home with a lake view.

19. RollieManollie

This is great information! Appreciate the post!

20. RollieManollie

I believe they are cedar and I'm located in Central PA - I'm going back today with a few people to help eye ball and inspect the place one final time before I put in another offer.
    I really appreciate all this help, the WERA board rocks!