1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Car Detail Pros Here? Ceramic coating question

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Mar 30, 2022.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My truck was ceramic coated last year, but it seems to be almost nonexistent now. I had Feynlab Ceramic Ultra done 7/2021. I’ve not gone through any automatic car washes, used harsh soaps, etc.
    I’ve reached out to the installer, and am waiting to hear back. I park outside, not in the garage, but I’d think the coating should last.
    These are pics I took today. There’s little to no beading, compared to the last pic (10/2021).
    I’m thinking I may have wasted my money and would be better off with a high quality wax, even if I have to do it a few times a year.
    Thoughts?
    4E7E1D99-5439-45B9-A447-EC2F30E86F7F.jpeg D9D3E30E-7D13-4450-B16D-2913B89891D9.jpeg C3DDBD24-CC9A-4056-8812-0F9241E05D57.jpeg 84ED1D87-6E7D-4C4F-AE81-779E37F45990.jpeg

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Some/Most ceramic needs to be "reloaded" every 6 months to a year to maximize the coating.

Something like this https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/carpro-reload-500ml-17oz/

Usually it's a spray on, wipe off thing after a wash. Ceramic can also swirl, depending on water type.

Most of the cost is in the paint correction and not really the ceramic. Remember, it's just a fancy wax at the end of the day

StaccatoFan and TurboBlew like this.
  3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

How dirty is the car in the non beading pics (I thought I saw pollen on the roof pic)....if the truck has a lot of dust, pollen, grim on top of whatever coating, it wont bead....take a micro fiber towel and "wash off" half your hood until you see no dirt on the towel and see if it beads in that area after that.....if it still doesnt bead after that, its gone.

sharkattack likes this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've been looking at this for My boat. For the cost, I'm very hesitant. A Pro boat detailer said it was a waste of $$ and that he's had multiple customers who have had it done go back to compounding and conventional wax treatments.

sharkattack likes this.
  5. sharkattack

You can buy a lot of wax for $1100...

StaccatoFan likes this.
  6. sharkattack

I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks for the info.
    EDIT: I took a microfiber towel and wiped it in several areas. Since it's still raining, the water did bead up some. Maybe it just needed to be cleaned? I feel silly for asking, but I've never had a ceramic coating. I thought they were maintenance free.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'm getting quotes of $4500-$6500 :Puke:

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Snake oil salesmen are still snake oil salesmen. Nothing you put on the surface of that vehicle, outside of clearcoat, will last more than 6 months being parked outside all day.

evakat and sharkattack like this.
  9. sharkattack

I'm beginning to think you're correct. I park outside 24/7 in everything from 100+F summers to below 0F in the winter. I'll chalk this up to a lesson learned. I could've bought a lot of wax for what the coating cost!

10. Venom51

I've tried enough shit on my own vehicles for the last 30 years to figure that out. Clean often...pick a product that's easy to apply and just do it regularly. A garage is the best method for keeping a coating on the car.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Griot's garage 3 in 1 ceramic spray wax 1-2 times a year. washed with griot's ceramic wash, and in between washes, griot's ceramic speed shine. beads like you just waxed it, all the time. Ski

sharkattack likes this.
  12. Venom51

I've used that one. I currently use their sythetic sealant and between that I hit it them with Bead Maker and use it as a drying agent post wash. Mostly becasue it smells great.

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Liquid Glass.

Goes on super easy, super gloss, lasts at least a year, even through drive through wash.

14. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I had my truck coated, and even after a year of drive through washes it was beading water amazingly well. There's definitely some ceramic snake oil out there, but the stuff does work.
    Check out the 2.5year test this guy did of various brands, on a motorcycle hood.

15. sharkattack

I’ve heard Griot’s stuff is really good. Thx for the info.

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

THIS

sharkattack and BigBird like this.
  17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why guys take their daily driver so seriously.

Get the wife some new boobs or something more of a return on investment

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hmm which is the better "beeb investment" ceramic coating on your car or take the money and invest with Big Bird & Motion LLC (BTW LLC stands for lots of Luck Chump :D)

BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Some times fake tits are the first sign you're about to be single soon .

Depends on the sand which maker

20. sharkattack

I am thinking that you’re right. I’ll give it a good wash over the weekend and see what she looks like. If I’m not happy, I’ll give her some nice wax and call it a day.

BigBird likes this.