1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any archers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Beer Slut, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Beer Slut

Beer Slut Well-Known Member

My wife wants a bow. Always has for some reason. She doesn't want to hunt, just wants it for fun. Can anyone point us in the right direction? We know nothing about them, really. Is it possible to get something decent in the sub-$200 range? Can they be ordered sight unseen, or do they "fit" differently? We live in West Central PA, so if you know a reputable dealer near us, please speak up!

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

compound or recurve?

3. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I need help to, and I don't have a clue as to what distinguishes compound from recurve.

I don't want to hunt; simply want to set up a 50 meter target in my back yard.

Sorry for piggy-backing your thread but I think we are looking for about the same thing.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Go to a bow shop and get fitted with a light draw weight compound.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

compounds have pulleys, recurves are like robin hood.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

What he said.......

7. Beer Slut

So is it reasonable to expect to find something worth having as a hobby for under $200?

8. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

agreed. however for a half decent compound all said and done your going to spend some money. When i first started bow hunting i have a bear which was pretty cheap but by the time i had it setup for me with arrows cut and everything i still spent 550. Later upgraded to a hoyt which put me even further.

Just like anything tho you get what you pay for. Your local bow shop will be able to help get you going though.

9. Beer Slut

I think I understand the pros of the compound bow, but what are the pros of the recurve?

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:D Punny of you.

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Well then, it will be the recurve for me as I can wear my tights!
    I'll substitute Stickboy for little John.:D

12. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

Recurves are a ton of fun to shoot. They aren't as accurate as a compound as well there is no let off, or the ability to have it sighted in.

If shes just looking to have some fun in the back yard this is your best bet. Can pick one up a lot cheaper and see if she maintains an interest in it. I shoot a recurve all the time just messing around good fun time.

13. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Draw length is easy to figure out and it doesn't matter if it is a compound or stick bow, it is the same. The Dicks sight has way to much information but it does have a good chart for determining your draw length. You can do a search for "determine draw length" and it will show you a couple of ways.

Determine if you want a compound or recurve. A recurve or longbow are like Robin Hood bows and the farther you pull them back the more weight you are holding. A compound has "let-off" so when the string is all the way back or full draw you are only holding 50-80% of the draw weight. You will still need to be able to pull whatever the pounds the bow is, the let off happens about halfway back. You can shoot either bow with or without a sight but sights are easier. Compound bows can be very complicated and it would be good to go to a local pro shop and get "fitted". But I don't think you will get away for any less than $300 and have all the Look around at pawn shops. A bow I have started a lot of people out on is a Parker Side Kick. It is a compound and complete set-up minus arrows can be found for around $280. Again if you are going the compound route go to a pro shop and spend the $350. For that amount they should give you 30-60 minutes of instruction too. You will be able to sell the Parker for $250 a year latter if she doesn't like it. Recurve/stick buy a hobby bow from Dicks for $50 until she decides she likes it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=222842
    www.precisioncompoundbows.com/bow-buying-guide

14. Beer Slut

She looks good in tights, so I guess I'll steer her toward the recurve.

15. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

look for good archery shops in your area , check em all out . some gun shops have pretty good archery peeps as well , you may be able to get a nice used rig for alot less than new .

i would go w/ compound , many bows can be setup w/ different pulleys/limbs or settings to fit different strings and get varying draw lengths/weights . more fun to shoot , easier to hold at full draw .

buy cheapy alum arrows , stay away from expensive carbon until she never ever misses the target . a release and wrist guard is nice too and will help improve accuracy/consistency. i like releases that can be pull or push to release or hold to hold arrow (not recommended for newbs) or activate to release convertable for newbs so they can figure what works better for them . simple pin sights are all ya need . don't get all sucked into the super fast bow/arrow thing and if she is not going to hunt noise is not a concern (you pay dearly for speed/quiet).

ask the shops for places to go do 3d shoots , kinda like miniature golf where you keep score and walk around shooting different stuff , i call it nerf hunting , tons of fun . some are at night for even more fun .

lots of practice at a indoor or outdoor range at first then w/a cheap target in the back yard(and alot of arrows) , make sure you have something behind the target so you don't kill the neighbors their dog , or car . being consistent w/technique/positioning of body/hand/head and such will pay off , lots of fun .

50 meters is really far unless you are competing w/ a recurve and shooting a real high ballistic arc . most ranges/3d shoots are setup more towards compound , olympic shooters use recurves , 10-30 maybe 35 yards is the normal distance .

always draw and hold w/ the bow pointed down and away from anything you do'nt want to kill

16. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Make sure you get a shooting glove and arm guard. Arrows with feathers shoot best off recurves. Hay bale works great for a target just stick a paper target to it.

A very nice bow is the Bear Archery Kodiak Cub Recurve Bow $189.99 online at Dicks 20lbs at 24 inches.

You can find fiberglass ones all day long for around $50
    Bear Archery Crusader Bow Set $35 Wally World online
    Bear Archery Titan Bow $40 Wally World this wold be better for an adult.

17. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

lol here I thought you were talking about the Tv show Archer, I guess the "S" should have told me lol!

18. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

go with a good crossbow. Fun to shoot and accurate as can be. I got an Excaliber recurve that shoots nearly 400 fps. Very effective against zombies. :D

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I made one mistake with the bow I purchased for my wife. it had too much pull on it and she could not draw the arrow. don't buy one before you test her strength.

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Buy a used compound bow. They are all over the place. I have two, in fact. Go to a good bow shop to have it set up. It will need to be restrung, have a pipper installed and she will probably want sights though a used bow will already have these.
    Compound bows can be tuned, within a certain range, for the pull. I used to pull 70 lbs but had mine reduced to 60 after I ripped a tendon in an accident.
    When you get proficient on a compound bow you may want to go "old school" with a recurve or even a long bow, but by that time you'll know what you're doing.

The Bow Hunters Festival is nearby in Sullivan County fairgrounds in September. It's worth a trip if you are into archery. 5 woods courses, a running deer target, stuff like that. The running deer is like something out of medievel times. A thousand arrows in the air at once...no kidding.