1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another RV advice thread

Discussion in 'General' started by SnacktimeKC, Nov 18, 2013.

1. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I've been racing out of a van for 8 years and at 46 years old that's starting to get a little old. I also live in Kansas City so where ever I go to race is a long drive, as in 10,000 to 15,000 miles for a full season with CMRA or a mix of WERA & CMRA. I'm thing of spending 25-30k on a RV, the question is what kind and/or which one? Is a budget of 2500-5k for maintenance reasonable?
    Or just do nothing at all and keep living down by the river in my van?

I've noticed the no slide outs diesel pushers in good shape are a very attractive price but am I asking for a TON of problems with something like this?http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/4117242888.html

Or am I better off with this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...3695&item=190968163695&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Think you might be happier with the first one. 100k seems reasonable for mileage. Being 17 yrs old you might want to look at critical components like the roof, windows, tires, and the trans. If its an Allison 3000 those run about $14k or so. If I could buy that for $25k (after a few hours of inspection)... id feel really comfortable.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You're giving up on the Van lifestyle? Say it ain't so!

4. SnacktimeKC

Yeah, a pre-inspection is definitely planned. Thanks for the input!

"thinking" about it...

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I would really like to build out a custom Sprinter toy hauler like these Sportsmobiles. It can't be that hard.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_bikes.html

I cannot ever see myself buying an 8mpg behemoth for $30k just to drive to the track a half dozen times per year and spending $500 on gas each trip.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  6. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

7. SnacktimeKC

But I'll use it 12-14 times a year, spending more the $500...

Funny, there's one of those somewhat close but I think 60mph is about all you're going to get out of one, I need at least 75. But agreed, those things are tanks!
    http://stjoseph.craigslist.org/rvs/4177213696.html

8. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

The first rig would be much more "homely" feel and easier to truly live out of if you travel that much for the season. Plus probably get better MPG too, granted upkeep/maint. would be a bit more, but well worth it. There's a reason the diesel pushers keep their values so much, they usually are built much better than a normal RV with many more features.

I would go with the first one and just get a small trailer for the bike for behind it. Plus those things are baller.

9. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

My '84 will pull at least 80 mph. Takes a while to get there though...
    Depends on the rear end ratio.

Attached Files:

10. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The big problem with older diesels is the repair costs. A customer of mine just sold a 2000 Monaco Diplomat 38' single slideout coach with a 8.3L Cummins. In the last year he had spent $10,000 on a complete fuel injection system (it failed, leaving him on the side of the highway), muffler ($400), Pakbrake (?), and many more small items. He paid somewhere around $40,000 a year and a half ago. He was happy to see it leave and get $25,000 in his hand. He never wants an older diesel again. He had a gas coach prior to this, and never spent a dime on the powertrain, other than service.

11. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for, and my experience with one while racing was less than stellar. I think I took it to three or four weekends and sold it. Horrible MPH, horrible MPG, license and insurance, storage costs, etc. I had an old gas Class A.

If I were going to tow that far, that often, and I was going alone or with one other person I would look at a small bumper-pull RV and keep the van. Or a toy-hauler. Much cheaper than having another vehicle in the stable to maintain.

Also, an RV adds some additional preparation and return time. Filling and cleaning holding tanks comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dImluYXmKJc

If you factor the costs of towing (lower MPH and extra travel time), insurance, depreciation, storage and added travel time, it may likely be cheaper to simply stay at a hotel near a track.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, and I love RV's. My plan is to get a diesel bus and spend my first year of retirement in it. :D Just really think about what you're getting into before taking the plunge.

12. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Avoid older high mileage RVs. They are very expensive to maintain, breakdown and ruin your race weekends. You can get a low mileage diesel pusher circa 5 years old for under $100k- more than you wanted to spend but in the end worth it. I found one after looking for a year. No way I want to deal with breakdowns on my way to the track- rather spend more and not have to deal with that...

13. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I'm full-timing in my toyhauler now. It's 40' and I use the dually as my daily transportation (but I telecommute so it isn't much). The trailer is an '06 and I've made a lot of mods which makes it even more comfortable. I see myself working longer and enjoying it more because I can move when I want to. The problem with this setup is that I don't see you getting away for a reasonably low amount. It took me 6 years to get both the dually and trailer paid off. But I really think it's worth it in my case.

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

There is a hell of a lot of truth in that statement.
    Been pulling a 5th wheel to races this past year and it is amazing how much longer the drive is as I have to stop for fuel on my way to most tracks now. I don't even want to think of the overall extra cost vs. my old trailer.

Tradeoff:
    #1 Comfort at the track
    #2 My family comes to more races and really enjoys being there now.

Totally worth it. :up:

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Think one of these threads broke down the dollars part of it.

But being setup at track has an added value. For instance waking up 15 mins before first call for practice or crashing out 30 mins after the last race.

16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Why not a decent used truck and toyhauler setup? I just would hate being stuck at the track for the entire weekend once I got there. Plus I would think potential service costs would be less.

17. SnacktimeKC

This, staying at the track is a huge plus for me.

I want to be able to sit at a table and work, stretch out and watch TV, etc if someone else is driving. The horror stories of the Diesels are starting to spook me so maybe I'll look at a fun mover...

Thanks everyone for the info all. -Snack

18. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

That smaller rv and trailer that Gurley used to have would be a nice setup..

19. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Not going to lie that is one bada$$ ride! Props to you! :bow::bow:

20. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member