1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another proud dad thread

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Mar 1, 2017.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Not to try to take away from the Jennings track day purse fight but I just got a text from my oldest daughter this morning. She has been accepted for a Physics REU (summer internship) at 3 pretty good schools. Cornell, Harvard and MIT... The kid has a pretty big decision to make but I will likely visiting Boston this summer.

She has busted her ass and looks on track to get out of the 3rd year of an Astronomy / Physics double major Math minor with a 4.0 even with the time taken up by being on the swim team. I really could not be prouder.

flygirl, neckbrace, Stumpy and 14 others like this.
  2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow. Impressive!

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Holy crap that's impressive.

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Wow! That is something to be super proud of!

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whoa, that kills! :up:

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Woohoo!

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Can we assume she got her smarts from her mother. :Poke: :D

t11ravis likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:I was waiting for that one and maybe some "must be adopted" or "the mailman must be smart" comments...

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, I was going to calling you a short bus riding window licker but I was afraid she might steal your login and correct my grammar and spelling. :D

What a choice, Cornell, MIT or Harvard, that is seriously f'in cool.

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:She is actually kinda an asshole about the grammar nazi stuff. Like worse than Sapsis...:D But you would likely be OK because she would probably agree with you that I was a short bus riding window licker...:(

But ya, the Cornell offer came a couple days ago and we were really happy. Then the MIT and Harvard ones came this morning and completely floored us. No matter which one she chooses it will make her resume look really good and will definitely help with grad school admission.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Jeezis, more gawdamn dirty immigrants taking the edumucations opportunities from good red blooded 'murricans! :moon:

Congrats man! :bow:

12. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

13. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I've failed as a father.

jrsamples likes this.
  14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow....awesome group of schools to choose from!!

Congratulations.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, imagine being smart enough that Cornell being only your "worst" option. :D

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still laughing at the list of schools. Holy crap! :crackup:

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Congratulations. The more 'experience' I gain as a parent, the more I realize that kids don't turn out good by accident.

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Congratulations, Crashman! You've done exceptionally well as parents. Your daughter's already learned hard work and dedication pay big dividends. I know how hard it is to not brag..

We had the pleasure of being invited to the parent orientation and lab coat presentation ceremony for this year's Vanderbilt class of doctoral fellowship program, last August. Candidates were recruited from all over the world to study, assist with research and earn their PhD in various areas of medicine, math and sciences. All tuition and a $28,500.00 housing stipend covered by Vanderbilt, through various research grants offered by organizations such as the National Institutes of Health, and other various entities.

I was awed by the orientation. Four different professors gave presentations on their research projects. One was responsible for developing the anti-body that was used to successfully treat the first Ebola survivors. He showed pictures of several of the survivors personally coming to thank the research team (fellowship students included,) who worked on the project. The other three professor's research projects were equally impressive.

My daughter, 22, earned her fellowship opportunity graduating summa cum laude (4.0) with an Honors Program math major and biology minor, as well as completing an undergraduate thesis "Math, Measles, and a Computer Simulation," (which won awards.) All while maintaining the Zell Miller Hope scholarship, working 20 hours a week in the school's math lab, participating in many campus volunteer programs, competing on the school's climbing club, riding street and dirt bikes, attending the Atlanta and Daytona SX, the Muddy Creek AMA MX race, and a world trials round at the Trials Training Center.

She was recruited by the Vanderbilt's School of Medicine Department of Biostatistics Dean and Vice-Chancellor, who thanked us personally for her acceptance of their offer over other prestigious schools, and gave her great compliments for her achievements thus far. After 2 years of mostly academic studies, she will become part of a professor's research project's team, as a biostatistician analyzing the data gathered in laboratory work.

We're over the moon proud of her, and grateful she's worked hard enough to earn back some of our taxes paid, with this opportunity.

Our older daughter is a surgical nurse at one of the largest hospitals in the Atlanta area, and has doctors competing to have her on their 'team.' She and her now fiance took a 14,000 mile, 7 week camping adventure in his 1986 Toyota, visiting as many national parks and forests as the could before beginning their careers and having a house built currently.

They both ride, though our youngest is more enthusiastic. She rides my YZ125 and her Mom's CBR250, my WR250R, or anything else I have running.

I agree, rk97, it's not just a coincidence. They both attended Montessori schools beginning at 2 1/2 years old through middle school, and private school through high school. Oldest was valedictorian, younger had another high-achiever in her class and was 2nd. We are very blessed, they both are great, respectful and humble kids.

We'll be visiting Nashville a lot, these next 5 years.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all done good for sure.