1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Motard Question

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkClow, Feb 3, 2007.

1. MarkClow

MarkClow Well-Known Member

Hi

Sorry to bother you guys but I have a choice of 2 motards, a KTM 450SMR and a KTM 560SMR. I plan to do some Wera on it next year.

Obviously the 560 is faster but do you think the 450SMR is fast enough to be at least competitive? I am 200 lbs.

I know you have to rev the 450 more - does this make it more likely to blow?

Anybody with experience of these two bikes?

Thanks for your time,

Mark

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I don't know much about KTM's, but I'd guess bigger motor is always better.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

Mark, no KTM experience here but if you're planning to road race it, then I'd go with the 560. Even with smaller tracks southeastern tracks I can see a 450 running out of top end pretty easily. If you're planning to actually ride it on smaller tracks or real motard tracks, I'd go with the 450. Probably a little more managable and better handling.

One thing I'd defenitally do is to gear it conservativly, as big singles do not like high RPM for excessive amounts of time {think Road Atlanta back straight}.

See you out there. :)

p.s. IMHO, the 560 is more likely to blow. Lower piston speed, but that piston is much heavier and is putting more stress on the bottom end bearings.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. MarkClow

MarkClow Well-Known Member

Matt

Thanks for the help man.

Fancy a trip to Jennings soon?

Mark

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

i got a sweet 540 for sale!

6. 418

418 Expert #59