1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This is the internet.....when has that stopped anyone from having an expert opinion.

Are you new to this interwebs thing?

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Skittles required an ATP when I was looking 10y ago.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

4. ChemGuy

Some of them...back in the days before everything was digital...lots of guys got started flying cancelled checks, lab tests, parts, etc overnight. These operators typically weren't the most um... safety conscious.
    Now it's harder to luck into a flying job with a wet commercial ticket.
    I started to go down the commercial route a couple years ago...thinking I might like to try and fly drop zone or stuff occasionally. Then I decided to change jobs, move but I'm thinking about picking that back up this year.

5. baconologist

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

My very first airplane ride was with a guy building hours in a Baron 58 flying cancelled checks. His plan was to move onto a major airline. This was in the late 80's or early 90's.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone has pointed it out, but the number of MAX aircraft in most of the countries that have "banned" them are in the single digits.....

8. speedluvn

and how many are in the U.S.? Is that single digit overseas, the total? I thought I recall some of the Asian countries have 40-ish?

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I read 58. Split between Southwest and American.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Before I can answer, which is it? In one post you say that they won't allow the FAA to get involved. In this post, you say it's the manufacturer.
    Your post also says that it's China and the EU (they) are making this decision. About an Ethiopian airliner that crashed in Ethiopia?
    Can you clarify this before we go into how similar situations have been dealt with in the past? Grounding a new design after a series of incidents is not that unusual.
    I had an instructor in the 90s who was following that exact career path. First time I ever heard that there were people frying canceled checks at night.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

So for the guys wondering about the Colgan stall on appch - this may help put a lil light on the situation. At the time, the "stall" recovery training was to do exactly as that crew had done as I recall. What was taught & checked for type ratings and ATP checkrides was an "imminent stall recovery" maneuver where you would -- get this-- pull the yoke back, add power, and retract the flaps. Sound familiar? In the three type rating training programs I went thru, there was absolutely no mention as to when this maneuver was appropriate.

So that sheds some light as to why an airline crew had different reactions than a 172 driver.

12. ChemGuy

I know the pay was bad for those guys....but I dont think they had to eat the checks to survive

:D

13. speedluvn

This pilot flew overnight and it involved that the checks were still incurring interest or something. His route was a stop somewhere in Virgina with a final stop in Charlotte N.C. There was a stored P-51D at Charlotte at the time.

14. speedluvn

How could that stall recoevery policy ever reach a training manual? That goes against aerodynamics principles.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn. I'm not even gonna fix that.:crackup:

ChemGuy likes this.
  16. baconologist

Sounds like the thought was to clean up the airflow and generate speed while avoiding potential imminant contact with a fixed object. Assuming this was a scenerio based on a stall during final.

17. speedluvn

I digress. I dont have the comfort of knowledge to approach that reasoning.

18. baconologist

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks good but accomplishes little :D