1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A commercial pilot friend of mine has told me stories of the turbulence coming over Big Bear and into the LA basin. Real white knuckle stuff, like the crew cannot even see or get their hands on the controls because they're being shaken so much.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

On one of my first internal flights in Russia, on some type of Tupalov, we had an inflight emergency issue with the plane and were met on the ground with a full contingent of emergency vehicles. I remember that during the flight, which was in the middle of the night, the crew switched off the autopilot and I could feel that they were exercising all the controls. That was fun.

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Assjuice was wondering about warning lights. I'm sure there's one or two in that cockpit. It is an early 747. I'm guessing that right facing position is the engineer?

4. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

We had a go-around coming into MKE because a family of coyotes wandered onto the runway while we were coming in. It seemed like we were 100ft off the deck when it was full throttle and back up while they sent someone out shoo them off.

5. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Yes, engineer panel. Hardest working guy in that crew.

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I don't fly a lot but have flown on a/c of all sizes since I was a child (mid 40s now). I have experienced 1 engine shut down. It was on an A320. I did not know that it had happened until the pilot told the passengers. After he told us I did remember hearing a slight change in the air vents. He told us that he had been flying for over 20 years and that was the first time he had it happen. We made an uneventful landing although it was not at our intended destination.
    I work with jet engines on smaller aircraft. Part of the certification of both the engines and the a/c is doing an analysis of the probability of having certain failures, like an engine shutdown. I happened to be working on one of those analysis when I had that experience and my first thoughts went to the probabilities I had been working. I was not concerned. The job I am in now involves seeing reports of engine shut down cases. I know how rare they are.

7. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

...after burners still generating thrust. no big deal.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That means exactly not one thing for Boeing. It's either a GE or Rolls Royce engine that is likely maintained by an engine OEM approved yard. I would say that it's a great thing for Boeing that they designed a plane that can fly with one engine. Another consideration is that the shrapnel (maybe) didn't escape the fan housing, which is yet another good thing for everyone involved.

Now, if the wing or tail fell off, that's bad for Boeing. Like the current 787 manufacturing flaw issue. That is bad. And expensive.

23103a likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I know , RIGHT!!!

There's WAY more snow on the ground in my yard in Texas than the one in Denver.

Who'd'a thunk it?!?

:D

BigBird likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

13. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It’s probably on Craigslist already.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

And that garden hose out in cold. Then they wonder why their pipes burst.

I mean, people!...

ducnut likes this.
  16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Wanna bet Boeing management wouldn't rather see Airbus stickers on that plane?

418 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well yeah, people in general are kind of stupid and won't ever understand Boeing doesn't make or maintain the engines.

ducnut likes this.
  18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Fair enough. At least the fan didn't penetrate the fuselage and knock out any systems. Of course it's designed to protect the systems in case of a catastrophic fan failure, but there's always a chance.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Wish me luck lads

DACA61E7-0428-4518-B28A-49002CC778C9.jpeg

BigBird likes this.
  20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Good luck, nice knowing you. :D

BigBird likes this.