1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

At K4, a 8 year FO is making $167.99 an hour and a CA is making $247.05an hour.

2. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I’m currently the most senior FO and I’m finally biting the bullet and doing my upgrade in September. Btw, I have been doing long haul flying for the past 20 years, trust me, it’s not that great...

MGM likes this.
  3. Jay Hodge

Yeah, I get it, long haul sucks. You would rather be at Walmart. Or maybe doing ORD MSP turns.

Don't get me wrong, no job is perfect. All jobs come down to this sucks less than that!

Jay

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Pretty much. If I had it all to do-over again,
    I would’ve went straight to USAF out of undergrad, flew with them and put in my DoS after four years, whether or not I got tindered, joined the Air Guard part time and started jockeying for a job in majors. That way, retirement benefits would’ve been guaranteed after twenty years regardless of my (mis)fortunes with the various major airline restructurings, strikes, layoffs &etc.

5. Jay Hodge

In short, all I'm saying is if Steak Travis wants to give it a go...Go for it man.

There are plenty of guys out there who make excuses for not trying. Happens all the time. If it's something you want, give it your best shot. You won't regret trying. You will regret not trying.

Jay

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Pro pilots are some grumpy people! The best one I know Is a grumpy bastard but He's survived a crash into a river, deer into the right engine on rotation so maybe that's why but he's the best pilot I've flown with.

I'm talking to my boss tomorrow and going to see about working but also letting him know getting my commercial ratings is a priority, "work life balance and all that" I've run it by his secretary and she thinks he'll say yes, and she'll also prep him. She's the key to getting what you want.

Unfortunately I don't have the savings anymore to just say F it and not need a job so I still need to work, I think this is a responsible route to not be balls deep in debt. If I get my commercial ratings and still love it then I'll probably say F it and go full time flying.

This does get my blood pumping (jump seat in a challenger 604 into Joisey)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Cynical, pilots are cynical and loaded with gallows humor.

eg. I saw a wing walker fall to his death at an airshow. Pilot standing next to me, without missing a beat, goes “now it’s a show!”

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Inst Tech and Steak Travis like this.
  8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of our tax dollars covering the training costs for the airlines but it is what it is I guess.

Every AF pilot I know, and its MANY, cant wait to get out and fly for the big bucks.

9. Fonda Dix

Jane Wicker or Todd Green?

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

But the discussion has always been leaving the service and all of the high performance aircraft they have.

11. Fonda Dix

The folks I know fall into two categories, twilight of career fighter types and fresh academy grads. Career bookends of sorts. That probably skews the feedback a bit.

12. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I don't know how you guys do the long hauls. After about 1.5 hours I'm ready to get out of the plane . Just got back from Reykjavik it was 5.2 hours. I was in pain .lol

13. dieterly

A freighter 747 makes it a lot easier, plenty of room upstairs and pretty good bunks, plus the of course no passengers made things easier too.

Photo likes this.
  14. dieterly

Wtf has working at Walmart to do with flying long haul?? At least Walmart workers didn’t pay over $10,000 to buy a job, like the majority of Comair pilots did.

15. Jay Hodge

I always hear people say “I’d rather work at Walmart than do this” Nothing personal, didn’t mean to offend.

Jay

16. dieterly

Not much offense taken :). I think flying airplanes for a living must be one of the best jobs around, particularly flying a 747, just because how awesome the airplane-you lose an engine and you can still do cat3b approaches, lose a hydraulic system and you still have enough back-up to do a pretty much a normal approach and landing besides giving yourself more time for flap extension, depending which system you have lost.

17. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

The old pay for training days. I was always lucky to work for a companies that paid for training and paid you while you were in training.

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Took a "discovery flight" this morning, been talking about getting flight training for years. Instructor flew heavies with the Air Force for 24 years, now flys an Embraer for intel and teaches because he wants to do it. We got along really well so I'll probably try to get him as my instructor. Just got hooked up with a job doing aerial photos for a construction company, making enough every month to pay for flight school. :) . Seems like the right time and I can write off at least a couple flights a month for photos.

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

How was the flight itself? I've been meaning to do one for years but never go.

20. Jay Hodge

IMG_1167.JPG Have fun flyings the best! Just went for a flight myself in my Yak.

Steak Travis and ChemGuy like this.