1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Road Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by John Branch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Is being killed by TRACK DAYS! My 2 cents worth! When I started racing in 1990,if you wanted on the track you had to go racing.

969 and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Tracks need that money to survive anymore.

ducnut and TLR67 like this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Here we go again....

4. And pro / not so pro racing is killing club racing... they also had carbs in 1990, so I’m waiting for “we had to jet our bikes every day” crap. I get it, we get it, just be happy they are at least on the track. That means buying tires, keeping the tracks afloat so there are places to race, buying parts which helps keep cost for racers down, etc.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just wanted to acknowledge your proper usage of "anymore" in a sentence. Thank you.

Chris, BSA43 and Sabre699 like this.
  6. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Yea, and real race bikes have to be push started. :)

5axis likes this.
  7. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Real race bikes you have to mix gas

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

valves are for toilets!!! - 2 stroke racers of old
    also laps had to be hand timed... none of this transponder crap!
    :D

9. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

It has been that way for years now. It sucks, but it is just one of those changes from the good ol' days we have to accept. I remember my second or third time out to Willow Springs before I actually started racing, Vance and Hines was at the track testing with Thomas Stevens and Jamie James. Stevens passed me going into turn 8, stuck his knee in the dirt and showered me with dirt and rocks. All as a way to say move your ass, I'm sure. You can't get memories like that at a track day.

10. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

I think I kind of understand the OP's rant, maybe. Just a thought, though:
    What about when you're 70 years old? Want to risk being a cripple for however many years you have left?
    Trackdays let old guys ride. It matters.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dont forget beginners too. I mentioned in the other thread... you can go to a track day with ALL your friends... regardless of their skill level. The irony... most, if not all track day orgs have racers on staff... so.

lonewrench, ducnut and jd41 like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That happens at track days, too. Maybe, you should get out of Novice group. :p

Track days runs 7 days a week, all around the world. Talk to any track owner and they’ll all tell you it’s a great thing. There’s no way a track can survive on the few professional events they host a year. And, country club tracks survive solely off track days.

I don’t see why a person would take exception to anyone getting off the street and onto the track, no matter the intent. I’m just happy that riders do. And, if they segway into gridding up, great. If they don’t, who cares?

jksoft, lookmtb, StaccatoFan and 2 others like this.
  13. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Well yeah... Reviving an old thread but of coarse the orgs have racers on staff.

Control riders are just racers looking for free track time duh lol

pscook and TurboBlew like this.
  14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

It may happen at trackdays still, but probably not often by the current US superbike champion, which Stevens was back then. We all get the idea and benefit of track days. It was just a different time back then. It wasn't as easy to get track time, but once you went, it had a way of pulling you in as a racer. Novice group huh? Haha. Ooookay.

Gino230 and ducnut like this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Just jabbin’.

AMA had a rule, mid-2000’s, prohibiting factory riders from attending trackdays prior to the event, so that would curb some of that. Not sure if MA has the same rule or not. But, it was awesome to ride with the rest. For sure, they didn’t hold back much.

There should be tons of current and former pro racers on the tracks out west, isn’t there?

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Do your track day orgs allow Segway racing? :Poke:

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

it's the second race on the docket after 5pm..
    Right after pit-bike mini race

18. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

You have no idea how to get through T8, let alone around the whole track :)

wsmc42 likes this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Race orgs are killing trackdays.

TLR67 likes this.
  20. drop

drop Well-Known Member

At some point we have to start blaming the racing orgs also.

Wheel Bearing likes this.