1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America loves Formula 1 now - Thanks Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It won't. The race engineers will ruin it with strategy.

BigBird likes this.
  2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

First kill all the engineers (?).....

BigBird likes this.
  3. Venom51

First rule change I would make is to put the engineers in the dark once the lights go out. They can have all the input they want during practice and qualifying. Once that is done they don't get to see a thing until the driver request a pit stop and tells them what he wants.

ajcjr and BigBird like this.
  4. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

After watching the Schumacher documentary i was reminded how awesome F1 was back in the day. I watched the last race but otherwise its not a race of driver vs driver, its more a strategy race. Dont get me wrong the cars are fast but what makes racing great is having battles between 2-4 cars up front all the way to the end, swapping positions, etc....

I think the only reason people think this season is great is someone is challenging Hamiljerk.

The more technology they throw into these cars the worse the racing will get, if it can get any worse.

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

You're probably right. To me it's the format/length that make it too dull. Shorter races are always more exciting because the action typically happens at the very beginning and at the end.

Drive to Survive is WAY more exciting than an actual F1 race/season because all the action is compressed into 1hr episodes. After watching I thought 'damn, am I missing out on F1?', turns out no, it's as dull as it's been for a while. But what do you expect with a 74 lap race that lasts 3hrs. I would LOVE to see F1 adopt a 30lap format or something just to see what the difference in dynamic would be.

The best races in motorcycle land right now are WSBK Superpole races for every reason I just mentioned. 24hrs of LeMans is historically amazing, but a total dud to watch because everyone is spread out by LAPS. Snooze.

BigBird likes this.
  6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Wait'll they go all electric. That will fix that, tout de suite.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

hasnt f1 typically been more popular than gp historically?

also to add, I think it has a another huge thing going for it. accessibility. say they did a gp documentary "new fans" still gotta fork over some serious cash to watch. f1 is on espn and espn + and that has benefits. People dont have to pay an extra 180 to watch and they either have it already or can sign up for cheap and get a bazillon other things to watch

tl1098 likes this.
  8. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

What races did you run? My brother and I did some of the Illinois PKA races in the 90's. Bumps, crowned roads and manhole covers added a little extra to an already sketchy track. Good times for sure.

yokohama1 likes this.
  9. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I’m old. ‘87 would have been my last year racing. We used to run Witt, Il, Mexico, MO., and Quincy, Il. park race and one in Terre Haute, In. There were others I can’t remember. Springfield, Il was our home track. Had so much fun as a kid.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Ran my first kart race at midstate.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

She is THE Stallion.

What an odd moniker. Imagine Jay-z the Mare.

TBH Serena did look towards Martin as her handlers were whisking her away from him. Meghan just threw out the "I'm a super big start right now and won't acknowledge you!" vibe. We'll see how that holds up in a few years.

13. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Yes, spent my weekends from age of 9 to 17 racing there. So many mosquito bites but it was truly what I lived for. Haven’t been back since they extended the track but checked out some satellite images.

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You guys are definitely onto something with this thread tho. My buddy was telling me the other day that his 13 year old daughter has turned into a huge F1 fan. As in, watches practice, interviews, the whole shabang. They are not a motorsports family, he doesn’t give a shit about any of it. No idea of it’s because of the Netflix thing or not, but it’s still cool.

Im gonna give the Netflix thing a watch. I’ve never really given a shit about F1, but if it’s as good as you guys are saying I might as well check it out.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My best friend's 14-year-old daughter binged all three seasons over the winter and has become a huge fan of the sport. She had been exposed to it her entire life so far because he's such a big fan but she was never really "into it" until Netflix.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    henry_carlson likes this.
  16. Venom51

Third party validation rule. Nothing your parents are into is cool until some outside party tells you the same thing. Until then they are just Charlie Brown's teacher.

17. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Same effect with my wife and 30-something daughter. I can't believe my wife actually wants to know details from qualifying, and to watch the actual races! All about the Netflix show. The fact that the drivers are pretty much all young, handsome, and wealthy may have a little to do with it, I suspect...

03RumbleBee likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, she's liked MotoGP for a few years now. I don't think she falls into the category of kids who think that everything their parents like is uncool.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Gender fluid apparently.

20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Stallion is only for women and is a reference to their backside