1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America loves Formula 1 now - Thanks Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Oct 25, 2021.

1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Did I hear it right that they had 140k fans?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I heard 120K, but within range.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Somebody please ban Danica Patrick from TV. Pretty Please!

tl1098 and Red Fox Racing like this.
  4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

As a kid racing karts, I always looked forward to street races. You were knocked all over the place because of road surface and it was another variable that you could use as an advantage if you could figure out how to pitch the thing using the bumps for certain turns. Dangerous as could be with people spectating just on the other side of some hay bales, but so much fun.

ts199 and Yzasserina like this.
  5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Right? She's terrible. I get the oh let's stick a female in the crew thing, appeal to all demographics, let's be inclusive, she drove IndyCar with mixed success, fine... I think she's pretty, as good looking as anyone else there, has a not great reputation in racing circles, whatever. But she is just abysmal as a technical commentator.

Last year at the Indy 500, Mike Tirico was floating in absolute softballs asking her about
    her experiences to help make them more relatable to the general audience. She's actually been in the car at speed. She whiffed every single pitch. It was awful. It's like she doesn't understand why she's there?

Anyway, so as I was grousing Fred comments... what is she wearing? I howled. And then overcame my initial panic when
    they switched over to Button and di Resta.

If they wanted homegrown relevancy, Alexander Rossi... anyone?

I guess we'll have to get used to this celebrity crap. Serena Williams blowing off Martin Brundle was funny and embarrassing. Chris Bosh is a longtime fan, saw him in Montreal years ago.

Yeah, I know, get off my lawn, lol.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If it's the same incident I read about, it wasn't Serena Williams. You need to brush up on your celebrities (I don't know what that woman does either. Rapper?). If it's a different incident, the man is a repellent to black women. :crackup:

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It was Serena, not Megan. That happened too.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn. 0-2!
    What does the Meghan lady do?

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks. I figured she was some kind of Instagram butt celebrity.

11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

She won three Grammys. I said sings, really raps. Anyway, don't be brushing by Martin Brundle on a F1 grid, unless you're Christian Horner in a hurry.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I wouldn't go with that verb.

R Acree likes this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

They could do away with the entire pre-race BS in my opinion. Do not really care what any of those folks have to say. Just put the damn race on and also too get off my lawn. :D

BigBird, tl1098 and Yzasserina like this.
  14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Wow, just watched the clip and the bodyguard who's leading the way makes the Mountain from GOT look like my 5 year old.

That's a very large man.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I quit watching that years ago. Especially now that European races start an hour later and don't compete with MotoGP, I'll stay with that post-race coverage until a minute or less before the F1 cars roll.

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You know, when I see Chris Bosh, Patrick Dempsey, Brad Pitt and Ben Stiller there, that is kind of cool for me, not because I care about celebrities, but because they bring visibility to the sport. And they are really fans. The rest, get lost.

henry_carlson and BigBird like this.
  17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I think F1 is pretty popular without those 4 wankers blathering on about nothing. Dempsey would be the only one with even an iota of relevance since he at least cosplays racing. Did I mention get off my grass?

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The sport is just now gaining potentially sustainable traction in the U.S. Finally. I'll put up with a few wankers. And bitch the whole time. You get off my lawn first. Lol. :p

rd49 likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think they are doing it right. Using celebrities to draw in the general public. I have accepted that I am not the target demographic for the pre-race stuff and it doesn't bother me. I get all the info I need from free practice and qualifying. I might miss an update here and there on race day but I'm okay with that.

20. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it catching on here, but I stopped watching probably 8 years ago because the races became SOO dull. I'm looking forward to next year's rules to increase the dynamic of the racing/overtaking for sure!

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.