1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon is getting scary

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

If they shouldn't have charged you tax on the membership, contact their customer service, they will probably refund the difference or at least give you Amazon credit for it.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

lol...i don't go there often, it's a scary place :D

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The next world war will be Amazon vs Walmart vs Alibaba:crackup:

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The error is legitimate - they sent him the wrong files, but the fact that they're recording EVERYTHING. Eff that!!!

BigBird likes this.
  9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well, I listen to Pandora on my phone when at the gym, doing yard work outside always with BT headphones. I somehow get "yard maintenance" commercials when I am weedwacking in the yard. So I think every app is "listening". I turn all that access OFF on all apps yet somehow it still gets around it.

Even FB, I turn "location services" to NEVER. Yet every day when I get home there is a popup from FB that says "Arrived at home" WTF. So tired of this invasive spying.

10. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Logged on to Youtube today and found a recommendation by YouTube Movies at the top of my screen, all of them bond movies.
    I was just discussing the best bond movie on here a few days ago.

You'd think tracking and shit would have at least been watered down a little after the GDPR went into effect, based on my observations its much worse and aggressive now.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah they’ve been good at the tracking shit for a while though. That’s really cute though that you think laws mean or do anything. By the time these idiots even start talking about a particular technology, the industry is already 10-20 years ahead. The bureaucrats are total morons. Pretty sure most companies just put on a face of complying then do whatever the fuck they want. The .gov doesn’t have the resources, expertise, or brains to know what they’re doing.

12. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I only use chrome when I dont care what is logged. I use Firefox when I do care.

13. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

It's cute you think condescending tone is warranted here.
    While I might not always agree with the law, and know that corporations run the world not governments, there have been times where the governments have come down hard on things and taken aggressive action. How the Feds cracked down on the Silk Road is a prime example of this. The trend is if it's in favour of the citizen they clamp down on it, if not they couldn't care less and at times push for it.

That is nowhere near enough, if you think changing browsers, using incognito mode and clearing cookies/history makes a substantial difference now then you're misinformed. Nowadays the least you can do is use a proper VPN if you really care about your privacy.

Just recently a report came out claiming Facebook shared private data from personal messaging with a number of organizations; Amazon, Netflix, Spotify and Royal Bank of Canada to name a few.

14. SGVRider

Sorry dude. I wasn’t really trying to be condescending to you, just make a little joke about how feckless the powers that be are. I should’ve used a smiley face. I work in e-commerce and I see how fast it changes and what the capabilities are, that’s why I find it so funny how the legislative types think they have any chance of influence. Amazon’s left hand doesn’t even know what the right hand is doing most of the time.

15. SGVRider

I’m fairly convinced nothing is enough now. I run VMs for accessing various marketplace accounts. I saw ads on one marketplace in a VM for very specific items I was looking for on the host machine in the same marketplace. I’ve never, ever used the credentials for the account on the host machine in the VM. The only credentials I’ve used on both are for a (very expensive) e-commerce management platform and email accounts that aren’t associated with the marketplace.

I’m guessing they somehow shared data that allowed them to link me. So even if you use a completely clean environment, one platform can identify you if a second platform shares data with it unbeknownst to you.

The host could also be leaking its real identity to in some subtle way they’re exposing, who the fuck knows.

16. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Gotcha, it's all good.

However I see Amazon as Medusa, all those snakes on her head are working independently but the head from which they originate knows exactly what they want and how to get it.

That's messed up, the host machine will reveal data that's normal but for the VM ads to appear on the host is crazy, it could be 'leaking'. What VM are you using?

17. SGVRider

Yeah I’m sure as Amazon’s growth rate slows a bit they’ll get a much better handle on things. They’ve already smartened up tremendously in the marketplaces in the last 5 years or so. I use Google Cloud. I don’t think anything is leaking, I strongly suspect we used a third service on both host and VM that communicated identity data somehow. I’m guessing it’s the email account.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Got caught in the giant Amazon web....I bought something on their site before Xmas. They charged me but used an old credit card that I thought was defunct without telling me. Turns out they never delete any info they have. When the bill came due I called the CC company and reported it as fraud. I was wrong. Had to go into Amazon and clean up all the old info they had stored so they couldn't just randomly pick any active CC for billing purposes. Oh, and I paid the bill....no stealer here.