1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one looking forward to see AMA Changes

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

Just to clarify. The "dismal turnout" was by design. There were only ever 8 spots for SBK and 8 spots for DSB. This came from Dunlop early on because of how late the tire deal was.

There were a bunch teams, like ours who were invited and would have gone if we had our deals in place. I went down personally to see what was going on. The timing due to some of the instablity and late coming of the rules had a big influance too.

There will be more teams at Daytona in March than there was at the tire test. Promise.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I personally think it's great. If DMG can do some good promoting and get attendance up, I think more good sponsors will be attracted. Up until now, there was little or no reason for any kind of serious, non-motorcycle industry sponsorship. No matter what kind of money a corporation was willing to throw at it, they just couldn't win. Take Jordan for example. He has the money to buy whatever he wants, but the factories wouldn't sell it to him because they didn't want the competition. Why would a big time sponsor bother to drop millions of dollars to race for 4th place? Now with the playing field leveled, anyone with the money and talent can win. It will be tough the first year, but worth it in the end.

Didn't the big manufacturers boycott WSB over the spec tire rule? Look how that turned out. WSB is arguably the most exciting motorcycle racing in the world, even without full factory support.

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I believe ( hope), that next season when the M-4, RRW , KWS , Yamaha, Corona , Pegram, Erion, Jordan and who ever else guys are all battling for podiums and top 10s, instead of following the Yosh bikes around. The fans are not going to be crying that Mladin, Spies and DuHamel are not there. They instead will be looking to see if they can get Ben Thompson or Blake Young's autographs to add to their collection. It wasn't the end of the world for American roadracing when Edwards and Hayden were not here anymore and it won't be any different with out Spies, DuHamel and Mladin. The fans just want a hero or two and they will have plenty to choose from next year. There will be no shortage of talent nor competitive equipment.

Ken

4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Thats just it, out with the old and in with the new. The "names" of the future will be racing in the AMA this year and there will be a few that will be the big names in a couple of years. The top tier was a bit stagnent for some time in the AMA, with a few sniffing about, but we might see a whole new set of names on the podium with a regular basis, ala Aquino, Fong, Carter, et all.

5. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I was getting worried...

The suck part is that I bet you guys have had the toughest year with sponsors seeing how late everything has turned out to be, eh?

6. Fent

Fent I'm Registered??

Just a general observation.

Did anyone take notice that with Roger Hayden out most of the season, that SuperSport was contested by privateer teams and NO FACTORY teams?

There were 11 different riders from 6 different teams that stood atop the podium.

I think the class offered close racing and was finally losing factory participation with the riders wanting to ride Super Bike only. .. though I could be wrong. :D

Todd

7. caferace

caferace No.

Were those those phony privateers or true pirateers? :)

-jim

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yea, Ben Bostrom on the Privateer Graves bike. :D

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Your factory or your not.

10. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I will have much better luck hunting for Moose, they aren't quite so strapped right now. I'm leaning more towards hunting for a comfortable chair to sit and watch you race in. I'm thinking multiple cup holders, maybee a fan unit and must fit on the side of a very large cooler. Probably find me in the proximity of Bacon when he is not working.:up:

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

fixed it for you