1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Mar 1, 2018.

1. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Been off 2 wheels for about 6 years now. Family life has taken over (6 year old and almost 2 year old) I'm big into nostalgia, actually bought my childhood home 6 months ago. I'm dying now to buy my favorite motorcycle I had almost 20 years ago, a 93' CBR900RR. I still love the looks of this thing, modern bikes do very little for me. (plus they are crazy expensive) Weird thing is, I honestly don't have a lot of desire to ride the damn thing, I just want to park it in my basement, keep it pristine and restore to 100% stock condition. Maybe take it for a spin occasionally around the neighborhood but no 120 mph blasts down the interstate like I did in my 20's. (or track days) With 2 young kids the thought of getting hurt weighs heavily on me but still, I'd love to have another bike, if only to "look" at it.

Have I lost it or do others go through the same thing?

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Kids change things, as does time. As soon as my wife was pregnant with our first, I sold the bike. Now I go fishing ... a lot.

I think a lot of guys here will echo very similar internal debates as you. But the love of bikes won’t ever really die.

3. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

You're fine. Probably better than most here.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

No. It appears life has gotten in your way. I had a mishap on NJMP in 2012 and I haven’t been on a
    Bike since. I want to return to the track but I simple can’t take the risk of injury and be unable to raise my children.
    I look forward to that day when I can return to the track when they don’t need me as much as they do now.

Boman Forklift, Chango and USracer900 like this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Sounds like every person at a car show.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you were nostalgic about '93 Katana I'd say you were crazy.... a nice example of a first year 900RR could be considered a smart investment.

7. JeffninjaR1

JeffninjaR1 Here until I'm not.

ANY Year Katana to be honest. '93 CBR900RR was the sweetest bike at the time...no doubt.

USracer900 and pjzocc like this.
  8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

It’s been 4 years since I sold my 999, had a 750SS that I puttered around on for a little bit, but sold that last year, as I just didn't put the miles on it.

Last month I bought a 2001 996S. It’s stunning. It will get ridden (just finished turning wheels on it for the first time, actually) but I’d be totally ok letting her be a garage queen (Mrs PJZocc won’t let me put her in the living room). So I totally get what you’re saying. Got 2 kids myself, and that weight you feel is totally understood.

Go find your bike. Park it, stare at it, love it. You will end up riding it, especially if it’s your dream bike. It’s ok.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing wrong with you at all. I still want a square headlight GS750 to just have.

pscook and USracer900 like this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't blame you a bit. One of the greatest motorcycles ever made. I'm always on the lookout for another. And just to make you feel better...it gets worse as you get older:D

[​IMG]

minman26, G 97 and USracer900 like this.
  11. JeffninjaR1

JeffninjaR1 Here until I'm not.

This bike is still gorgeous.

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sup Bijan!

I bet you end up riding it a little more than you expect. Either way restoring a sweet old bike would be a fun project. If you got the funds there’s no reason no to try it. Send boccarp a message to see if he has one.

USracer900 likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

this is the proper color
    [​IMG]

tropicoz, Phl218, cav115 and 2 others like this.
  14. USracer900

Hey BJ! Hope you are well buddy, thanks for the message. Every spring I really get the itch but this year it's especially bad. I have one in mind, super nice guy too, hope it works out. I may end up riding it some but I (think) I would be super nervous. Probably ride it like an old granny on a Harley. :)

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, RD had the right color. First one isn't always the best.

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. USracer900

Thanks also everyone, the group therapy is very helpful. RD400: I remember yours well, it is beautiful. You are close by too, I'm in Lex. I had the red/white/blue scheme. I'd have to have that one. Love the black/red though also.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Nope, normal to me. Two kids, married, 40 y/o, 10 years removed from the asphalt.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on an '86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham last year, but talked myself out of it. Funny, I too, have looked at buying my childhood home.

Weird it is tho, this midlife shit... :crackup:

BUT, I can honestly say, that, I am really, really enjoying this period of my life.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And this mofo called me old last week. :crackup:

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Invite yourself over to his house to look at his. :D

Funkm05 and rd400racer like this.
  20. Chango

Chango Something clever!

This stuff is in the back of my mind every single time I ride either of my bikes. I’m turning 40 this year as well and I have a 4 yo and a 6 yo. Even at the track a couple of years ago on the clapped out (PO)SV it was still there. I don’t think it made me any slower than I already was since I was using a wall calendar as a lap timer, but I was aware of it.

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.