1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almight Beeb doctors: Constant sinus infections

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Jan 18, 2018.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

So what the hell!?!?! My ears haven't "popped" in probably ten years. I can always hear fluid in them while I'm laying down, and no matter how hard I hold my nose or whatever other trick people talk about, they just won't "pop". On top of that, it seems like damn near anything gets me a sinus infection these days. Drink too much alcohol (more than 2 drinks basically), get dehydrated, eat too much crappy food (this doesn't happen often), stress. Even when it's not a full blown infection, my sense of smell is practically non-existent.

I flush my nose daily with one of those sinus rinses, but it only seems to keep the symptoms at bay for a short time, and if I forget to do it I get another sinus infection. What say you beeb? It's pissing me off this morning because I was on a plane last night and whatever was going on with the cabin pressure gave me a splitting headache.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not sure if it's related, but my son had multiple ear infections before having his tonsils and adenoids removed.

How's your sleep? Do you snore?

3. shakazulu12

I only snore when it's flaring up. Generally I don't. I sleep well enough. Just have a constantly slightly stuff feeling escalates to a full infection about once a month, sometimes more.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not so much infections (at least not serious), but I had a chronically plugged sinus cavity for years until I cut out gluten.

terminus est and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

hmmm...crappy food and alcohol helps trigger his. crappy food as in full of wheat?
    What kind of alcohol OP? Beer?

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've had chronic sinus infections for 15 years, it's part of underlying auto immune issues for me, I'd suggest finding a good ENT and you'll probably have to experience the great feeling of them putting a scope up your noes to look around.
    I'd also suggest stopping the rinse.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I was going to ask if you've ever been checked for allergies.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Subb’d

10. shakazulu12

When did the rinse become a bad idea? Not doubting you, just never really thought about it. One of those things my father told me to do and I never really asked.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Does it mostly happen during winter ? Do you have electric heating in your house or office ?

BigBird likes this.
  12. shakazulu12

It's a constant thing. Doesn't really matter what time of year it is really. Electric heat at home, and I'm typically not in an actual office much. Out and about during the day.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

honestly that's just what I was told by several of my DR's and I didn't question it, I would guess your nose staying damp and the potential of an infection by moving bacteria around if you have a infection.
    Maybe just something easy to try to eliminate until you figure it out.

14. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Another vote to get checked for allergies. Up until I was about 40, I constantly had sinus/headache issues. Doc finally prescribed Nasonex nose spray. One spray in each nose hole every night before bed. Within a week, sinus issues went away and have been gone for past 8 yrs now with that routine. Maybe once a year I might get a legit sinus infection that might require some additional meds, but rest of time all is good. Sleep better and wifey says I don't snore as much.

Slider82 likes this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ever think of going to a doctor to find out? I know that is a radical idea.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  16. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Yep. Flonase for me. Sinus issues gone.

Slider82 likes this.
  17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

There's a connection between having higher glucose levels and sinus infections. The way I understand it is that a certain fungus (candida IIRC) will grow in your sinus cavities if there's an excess of glucose in your system. That could explain why eating crappy food and alcohol causes a spike in the sinus pain... they both elevate your glucose. A lack of sleep will elevate glucose as well. Cut the sugar and carbs for a few days and get some rest and see if it helps. It certainly won't hurt any to try.

terminus est and BigBird like this.
  18. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I recently had sinus surgery for similar issues. My ENT strongly recommends permanent use of sinus rinse and Flonase. The sinus rinses are only bad if you aren't careful about the water you use. Do not use tap water unless you boil it first. Otherwise go for distilled water.

noles19 likes this.
  19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Nope. Ask beeb first, THEN go to doctor for a second opinion after telling him what the beeb thinks it is.

About5-7 years ago I was getting massive sinus headaches. Had no idea what it was. Had an MRI, turns out I had a cyst in my sinus cavity. Couple rounds of some spray, and it was gone and so were the headaches. Thing was the size of a pea. Print this thread out and take it to your Doc...lol

TurboBlew, Phl218 and rd49 like this.
  20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Go to an ent.

I got my sinus’s opened up via surgery and haven’t had a sinus infection since 2008 after getting them all the time.