1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All knowing bbs! Pw50 or ttr 50?

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

If your looking for used the pw is easier to find than the ttr and usually a lot cheaper. They have a lot of performance after market parts for the Honda . I don't think you can go wrong with any of them .But I think the Honda can grow with the kids.

2. Size. I can also unload the pw for what I paid while he's learning to ride the ttr when he's ready. You can also adjust the pw so it's very rideable. I don't like throttle stops so made a one that has about 2/3 of the original pw throw but uses about 1/4 throttle to start. Cams can be adjusted. It would cost way too much to duplicate or even sell but it's a pretty trick machined setup.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Don't think you can go wrong. Borrowing a CRF-50 now with our 4 (just turned 5) year old and it's great. The throttle stop is simple, but works perfectly for what I want.

Only potential issue with any of them is if he/she can get their feet down, as that can hurt their confidence early on. Otherwise, the TTR and CRF will likely last longer than the PW will.

4. I looked at the pw as a "disposable" option to start him on. If I lose money selling it I don't really care, or may just keep it. Kids gear isn't much cheaper than adults, more than the bike. I'll let him ride the pw for a while and see how he does. My remote brake putter onner and kill switch are pretty slick. I also fabbed a dual foot/ hand rear brake. Xr 100 lever that I started with and bent to fit. Machined up bracket abd returns for it.

5. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

Some of the electrics are really good, especially if you are riding in a suburban area. We went through the tiniest Oset 12.5 when the kids were 2 & 3, and had a couple of 36v Osets. There are now a couple of other brands making decent bikes.

PW's are bullet proof but can't pull themselves out of anything.

The air cooled ktm mini adventures are awesome. None of the legendary clutch issues of the water cooled bikes, good suspension and brakes. Because of all the adjustments you can make to height and power, you could reasonably get a couple of years out of them.

Pete

6. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Neither, both have absolute junk for suspension. Now you may think who cares its for my 4 year old, who cares he is just going to learn how to ride in the yard, ect the list goes on. The first time your kid is riding and is finally getting into it and picking up speed and gets kicked you will regret it. I redid a pw50 for my son he rode it 4-5 times before he got bucked over the bars on it and the next day it was for sale. The forks in these bikes are not oil filled they are filled with grease for dampening and the rear shocks on a pw are literally just 2 springs, no dampening at all. Find a good used KTM mini adventure 50, they are very easy to ride, are oil injected so they can still run the AMA 50ss class (a slower non cobra running class) have actual oil dampened suspension and can be gotten for about 1k. I think they made them from 02-08. I will have very clean used one for sale prob in about 4 months as soon as my son steps up to a SR.

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

The TTR (and CRF50) might still be a bit big. Have him sit on it first. My son's about the same height, and our CRF50 is still a bit tall.

The great part about any of these bikes - buy them used, and you can sell them for what you paid.

8. Ttr and crf were both too big.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

CRF50
    slightly used 2016 for $1300 or 2009 $800 (they want $1000 currently)?

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Mecatechno or oset electric trials bike, no question.

11. I just picked up an 09 that maybe has 2 hours on it for 850.

BigBird likes this.
  12. I just googled those. Over 2k for the Oset? Holy shit.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Bought an 04 for $800 last year. I'll sell it for $800 in a few years. It's been the same bike for the last gazillion years.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

For the 12? Get the mecatechno, should be 1000ish.

At that age, the benefits of the small electric bikes are awesome.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Maybe I'll message Casey Stoner about his for sale :D

was thinking maybe MiniGP at some point. Don't think they have an electric bike class.

16. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

on the cr or xr 50 you can remove the rear shock to lower the bike a few inches, that helped my boy at first.

17. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

PW

There's a lot of parts available for the PW to help it keep up with your kid as he grows. Just check out http://pwonly.com/
    They are cheap and easy to work on and they are bullet proof. Lots of cheap upgrades to add horsepower and suspension as the kid gets faster.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Panigale

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  19. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I just picked up a PW for my daughter. Free. Needs work but runs. She told me I was the best dad ever. And her smile makes me think so. [​IMG]

pscook, eggfooyoung and BigBird like this.
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I guess I could've mentioned that it's a CRF50...

BigBird likes this.