1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All knowing bbs! Pw50 or ttr 50?

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 22, 2015.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

For my soon to be 4 year old, which is the better option?
    He's big for his age so size isn't as important, but the quieter the better when it come to engine sound.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Define bigger.

The PW is smaller. Which one does the child fit better?

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

44 pounds, and 44 1/2 inches tall

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I say the peedub

5. Got my 3 year old a pw. Better for learning imo.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

How so?

TTR all the way. PW is ancient.

JustaNobody likes this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Pw and kdx are the best starter bikes, just because they're so small. A big 4 year old would probably do fine on a ttr.

8. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Why not the crf50?

BigBird and JustaNobody like this.
  9. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

10. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Get a used PW for cheap. When its time to upgrade you can sell it for about what you paid for it.

11. SCHMITTY91

SCHMITTY91 Well-Known Member

my six year old is a pip squeak but he just finished his first race on a pw i think that's the best route to go for the starter bike.

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

PW has no gears to shift, and no chain to catch toes. Best starter bike.

TTR/CRF will last them longer before they outgrow it.

13. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

I had a PW 50 for my kid when he was 3, I bought it based on it being smaller than a TTR or CRF, I ended up getting rid of it, at that age my kid had no throttle control. The problem I had was being belt drive even with the throttle limited to almost no movement with a little kid it eventually got wound up and was going faster than I wanted it too. I ended up going to a CRF, with a geared transmission it will only go so fast.

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

OSET or Mecatechno electric trials bike.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Pw is smaller. Ttr has electric start. Ttr has more room to grow. Crf has tons of aftermarket.

Looking for a ttr for my daughter as we speak.

16. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

17. backbone

backbone scarred for life

PW or if you can find one, the JR50 was a little better to teach on IMHO. Since it used a rear foot brake like a real bike.

18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Ttr. Electric start, semi auto so just leave it in 1st gear to keep speed down, and 4 stroke.

19. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The thing I don't like about the TTR is that it has no kick start backup. I'm shopping the DR-Z70 because it's the only 10" tire mini with electric AND kick.

20. Scott Harwell

Scott Harwell Well-Known Member

I bought my boys the DRZ 70. They are 4 and 6 yes old. I bought them for the reason of being electric and kick start. They have never used the kick starter, but is there if needed. It is nice that they can hit the button and go all on their on with no help. It all just depends on the environment they are riding them in.