1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol treatment programs?

Discussion in 'General' started by SGVRider, Aug 2, 2016.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I have an employee that I recently terminated for repeated extreme tardiness and unreliability. I know that these issues stemmed from his drinking problems (he's had 2 previous DUIs). He's otherwise an amazing employee who's contributed greatly to our success, but this behavior was so negative and prevalent that we couldn't tolerate it anymore, especially after we gave him more chances than most anyone would have. We are considering offering him a way back, if he wants it.

We were thinking that we'd agree to take him back after he successfully completes an alcohol or substance abuse program supervised by medical professionals, and that he continue treatment after. I don't know much about these. Is there a "gold standard" of treatment? Is there some type of accreditation that's widely respected? What types of programs are the most successful? Any knowledge, professional or personal is appreciated.

ghetto customs likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Listen, you can offer him all the options and help all you want but it's not going to do a damn bit of good until he's ready to quit.

2 DUIs and he wasn't ready? That's just what you know. Repeated warnings and now he lost his job. Offer the hand just don't expect him to take it.

madkaw and Gorilla George like this.
  3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Sending a PM

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There's always AA of course but you wouldn't know what he's doing there if it's working or not.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

No. Don't enable. Wish him well and move on. Losing this job may be the rock bottom he will have to hit to want to change from within.

condon66 and terminus est like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I know my job has like a "farm" thing. If you do have a substance abuse issue, they will allow you to go seek help and after treatment, you can come back. IIRC you're allowed 2 strikes, and the 3rd is termination.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

As others have said, he has to be ready to quit, and to be successful, people often need to make huge changes in their lives, up to and including changing where they live, work and play. If his social life involves drinking with friends from work, he may need to get away from that. Offer a carrot in the form of maybe you can come back but only after and see how he reacts. I have known people that were told, in no uncertain terms, that if they did not stop drinking, they would die. Not years later, but within a short time and they couldn't or wouldn't stop.

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If he wants help, if he decides he needs help/treatment, he will seek it out. From what I understand, this is one case where the patient cannot be helped unless they truly want to be helped.

Anybody else watched Mad Men? Amy and I are watching it on NetFlix....OH MY GOD! I've never seen so much booze consumed in my life. If that's how it was back then, how did anything get done in the late 50's and into the 60's?

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

He has to decide for himself. Your ultimatums will do absolutely nothing. He most likely will have to reach his own "rock bottom" in order for him to realise for himself that "its time". The cold hard truth to alcoholism.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If he's a drunk and he's been in trouble with it already then he's also had the opportunity presented to get sober. Either by the court or elsewhere. He's a drunk, he knows he's a drunk. I'm willing to bet he's tried to get sober before too. Not any treatment or program is worth a shit unless the person has the desire.

11. Torn7th

Torn7th Well-Known Member

As others have said. Unless he's ready it will not happen. I helped a friend and it was very rough in the form of withdrawals, panic attacks, etc.. My grandfather died from it. He was what they call a " functioning alcoholic" . He would drink all day but most people didnt know it. Whiskey in the coffee, beers at lunch, vodka at night. Everyone pleaded with him but, the alcoholic mind those who dont drink have the problem not them. It truly consumes the person. Ive seen both sides the alcoholic and the alcoholics family. It can destroy many things relationships,jobs,health, it goes on and on.

Now after all that is he a good friend of yours? Im assuming he is and as you said a great employee. Now ask yourself this is it worth your time and trouble? First thing that usually happens when you give an alcoholic an ultimatum is they will immediately go on the defensive. This is normal. The biggest thing is your giving him an option and something to think about. After that its complexly up to him. He has to want it and hopefully he will. Its not easy by anymeans but sometimes reaching out to someone who is addicted is all the motivation they need for them to turn around. Ive seen it happen several times.

Good luck to you and him and hope it all works out in his favor.

12. Take it from a guy who quit drinking a few years ago, don't do it. I've never had any legal or employment trouble I was just ready to quit. Was a very very very heavy drinker but one day I decided it was time for a change. There's no rehab program out there that will make someone quit that doesn't want to for themselves or have a very good reason to (jail, wife, whatever the hell else). Bottom line, he didn't care enough to show up on time enough to get canned, 2 DUI's etc. he's not ready for himself. Let it go.

13. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

The Ranch outside of Nashville, TN. Awesome program.

14. Olympus Racing

Olympus Racing Well-Known Member

I don't know any programs I just feel the need to say bravo for trying to do a good thing here and help another human. I'm actually a bit sad to read so many people who say wish him well and move on. It's good to try to help our fellow humans. Even if you fail at least you tried to help. Good luck.

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Call your county. Does he have insurance? They will ask you this. The county will set up an assessment. They will decide, based on his statements, which treatment will be best for him. Out-patient, 10 day, 21 day, etc. If he is bad off he will need an in-patient program that offers monitored detox and an aftercare program. Not having insurance shouldn't be a barrier but he might not be able to find a place with a bed right away. Bring up the assessment to him and if he agrees to then I say go for it.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, when I gave up my quest for my pro drinking license I just quit. Drinking wasn't an issue in that it didn't affect my job (the opposite, it was with a HEAVY drinking company) just got sick of the morning haze and the stupid shit that came with boozing for life. I stayed dry for 5 or 6 years and now if I want it but don't need it, I'll have a beer or 4 but I never touch the clears or browns, . I'll totally quit for 6 months or a year on a whim, not because it's a crutch but just as a f@ck you to booze.

You just have to want to quit.

Canadian Bacon and BigBird like this.
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Can't help but agree with the other comments here. I had a star project manager who we all knew loved the booze. He would drink hard every weekend and whenever there was an outing that included alcohol. He was (is) actually a really fun and gregarious guy, sober or drinking, so no one ever really had a problem with it.

He was pulled over one morning on the way to work and blew a .15. OWI in a work vehicle, and despite him being exceptionally talented and productive, had no choice but to fire him. He came back weeks later and begged for a re-hire. I agreed under the condition that we install an ignition interlock in his work vehicle. He flew off the handle and told me that it was bullshit/I didn't trust him/he wasn't an alcoholic/it was one time/he stayed up too late drinking with an old friend/he didn't need a babysitter, etc. I told him that those were my conditions, take it or leave it.

Fast forward about six months. He's working for a competitor who's happy to have him, and gets popped again. OWI 2nd. This time in the early afternoon on the clock. They take him back. A couple of months later he gets hurt on a job and there's a WC claim. The hospital takes urine and blood and he's .12. My competitor doesn't want to let him go so they force treatment. Weeks later I get a call from another competitor checking references. Apparently keeping his job wasn't enough to keep him in treatment when there was somebody else out there who would hire him without suspicion.

He's still working for the third company as far as I know. Point is, drinking was more important to this guy than two good jobs, and until his priorities are rearranged, there will be no fixing him. As said before, he has to want to get sober. You wanting him sober will not change anything.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's not an employers place to "help" an addict with the promise of keeping a job. It's counterintuitive, but the most helpful thing you can do for someone on the way down is let them fall.

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Im not saying you havent dealt with a serious alcoholic.....but it seems so. Being a crutch for the afflicted to knowingly fall back on,prolongs a chance of recovering.

20. Olympus Racing

Olympus Racing Well-Known Member

Iv never dealt with an addict, but I will tell you that in sales I went above and beyond to hire people who failed interviews and personality tests, who didn't even have a car to get to work because all they needed was a/another chance. And it paid off every single time.
    And I was putting my job and reputation on the line every single time too.
    Sure it's not the same thing but motivation and faith and believing in someone can be LIFE changing.

BigBird likes this.