1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alaska Hunting?

Discussion in 'General' started by Newsshooter, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Seems like there's always someone with good and not so good info here. :) Looking to go archery hunting in Alaska with a buddy. I'd like to do a DIY caribou drop camp out of Tok, he'd prefer a guide. He's interested in Moose too, any suggestions?

2. joec

joec brace yourself

RRP likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I can't help you with the caribou out of Tok, but if you want moose as a non-resident you have to use a guide. I can recommend Charlie Green in Galena. There are record moose there and he can hook you up for caribou, too.
    You can google him or I can get it. He is a really good guy and knows his stuff. If you want to do a drop off hunt out of Tok, he would know who to use. I know him and his family well.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Can’t hunt Moose in AK without a guide.

*edit - @kenessex covered it...

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Not worth it to go alone anyway. I've been bowhunting since I was a kid, and have tried to kill an elk on public lands for the last two years. I haven't even released an arrow. A friend of mine who has owned a bow for barely six months just shot a huge bull in Utah on his first hunt. Yes he paid $8000, but he has meat in the freezer. Take the cost of 2-3 more failed hunts, then factor in the meat I've bought in that time, and add the knowledge gained to use in the future, it's a bargain.

Set yourself up to succeed. I've already put a deposit down on next year's hunt, and I'm honestly as excited to learn from a pro as I am to bag a bull. No matter what you think you know about hunting, a guy who makes his living harvesting on those lands has forgotten more than you'll ever know.