1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag vests and back protectors

Discussion in 'General' started by sharky nrk, Jul 30, 2019.

1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Wanted to get some opinions about this. I had an opportunity to test my Helite Airbag Vest for the first time when I got taken out this weekend during an endurance race when a rider lost the front and slid up underneath me. Airbag went off and did its job and was honestly a fair bit tighter and more encompassing then I thought it would be.

This prompted me to consider if I could have a CE2 rated insert in my suit under the airbag vs wearing the full belted Forcefield L2K I was wearing. Nothing wrong with the L2K, but if I could put a CE2 insert in the suit that would be less bulky and one less thing to have to put on and off it may be worth purchasing one. I don't want to significantly reduce the protection so if it is a big step down I will just carry on with the current setup.

2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

If a tether is involved, I'd want to wear whatever I would without the vest incase I didnt get separated from the bike fast enough (or at all).

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. :stupid:

The 2nd time I had a compound collarbone fracture, my ass was still glued to the seats, and hands on the bars (I got slammed down on my side from almost vertical).

A tethered vest wouldn’t have activated until after I made impact. An airbag suit would have. That’s why I started wearing the airbag suits.

With a tethered one, I would want enough protection, so that I would be covered whether the vest activated or not.

Brian_J and BigBird like this.