1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Rifle recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by jkraft, Jun 12, 2019.

1. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember those, they were the best.

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yep. Pre Charged Pneumatic. The CO2 thing is called CO2. The Diasy pump rifle is actually a PCP. You just pump up the chamber for each shot and can't get as high a pressure. The expensive ones have tanks good for around 50-70 shots and are pressurized to 2k psi. Traditional ones are just called "springers." Cock the piston and spring back with some sore of lever and then let it go with the trigger. Fun fact is that if you have too much oil in the chamber of your springer rifle you can diesel! It sounds as loud as a 22LR supersonic when this happens. And it surprises the hell out of you.

This is what I bought years ago. Used it mainly for working on shooting form. 500 pellets is a lot cheaper than even 500 rounds of good .22 ammo.

PY-1854_Beeman-HW97K-Blue_1495724189.jpg

pfhenry likes this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

"Your"

Sorry couldn't help it :p

sharkattack likes this.
  4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i had a miss fire the other day(stuck lead) just loaded another with 1 pump and they both came out like 5 feet lol...

My buddy reminded me, " now if that had been a real gun, you would be taking that bitch apart"

sweet blue and gray... that site was a bit confusing but damn walnut this beech that

5. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Yeah you got me!

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Is this a Geico commercial? :D

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I've got the traditional Daisy 10 pump .177. $40.00 or so.
    Shoots the poop out of most pests.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep I have a Crosman pump. Shoots BBs or .177 pellets. 10 pumps puts a BB through a metal garbage can

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Red Ryder. Duh.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Then the squirrels give you the Buckwild treatment when you least expect it.

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

pfhenry likes this.
  12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

That’s one of the ones I recently purchased . Had one when I was a kid great gun . The new one is unbelievably bad , every shot is a flyer , all over the place . Mounted a scope and was chasing settings all over the place . Fuck it I gave up .

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'll second the cat option. My in-laws had a long-hair female just show up one day a few years ago. We think someone dumped her off. They fed her and she hung around all summer and just assumed she would mosey on. Nope still there and is as friendly as can be.

All niceties aside "Kitty" is a damn killing machine. Anything less than a horse, and it shows up on the front doorstep missing it's head. I suppose that's gratitude LOL

ryoung57 likes this.
  15. Lots of urban/suburban areas in US have discharge bans. IOW, it is illegal to discharge a firearm within populated areas except under very limited circumstances (and pest control usually isn't one of the permitted circumstances).

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I've never had a heck of a lot of luck with subsonics in a 10/22 with any kind of range. Actually never have seen a break barrel pellet rifle with much in the way of accuracy either. Best bet is heading to Farm & Fleet or Wallyworld and grabbing a Daisy (if they still make the 880) or Crosman pump gun.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I covered this early in the thread.

18. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I can't remember if it's a county law, but in our area, pellet rifles are considered "firearms", and thus no bueno for firing locally. bb guns are permissible, but not very effective for rodents.

That said, the op would likely rather get caught being discreet with a pellet rifle than a 22.

We have a Crossman break-barrel that works pretty nicely. And, I too can recall our good old Benjamin growing up. That thing was awesome, accurate and deadly.

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

cha0s#242 likes this.
  20. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

FFS, I had a Crossman 760 Powermaster for 25 years and killed more squirrels, chipmunks, woodpeckers, etc. than I can count with it. At 50 yards I could hit the 3" lamp post in the back yard with it, no problem. Shot .177 or BBS's but I always stuck with pellets. No reason to overthink things.

rd49 likes this.