1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Rifle recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by jkraft, Jun 12, 2019.

1. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Squirrel population out of control.
    Range 60 ft.
    .177 or .22?
    accuracy and sound level a priority.
    TIA

ekraft84 likes this.
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

jkraft likes this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Who in the hell needs a $2000 pellet gun?

4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

We had a pigeon problem at work. Got a .177 pellet gun at Bass pro that shoots 1200fps. Worked great and was $100 or less.
    Might I suggest an alternative, a suppressed .22LR with low velocity ammo. And be sneaky with it.

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Every. Single. Red-blooded. Amurrican. Man.

Obviously.

dtalbott, MachineR1 and Jed like this.
  6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

cool site... those .177 pistols look like a fun challenge.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I bought a Gamo 177 whisper spring gun and love it added a cheap gamo scope. My tree rat population is in check. Little fuckers were making nests under the hood of my truck.

omatter34, R1M370 and jkraft like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If any of you guys want to control your small animal populations, you're welcome to rent my cat for a few days. She's a straight up homicidal maniac! She has killed virtually every rabbit, squirrel, bird, snake, mole, mouse, and frog anywhere near my house.

2001chromo, rugbymook and rd400racer like this.
  9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Anyone who wants to shoot competitively (field target) or a pro exterminator. The PCP ones really are amazing. The R7 gets you into the precision guns at the lowest cost. Under levers or side cockers are more accurate than breakbarrels in general but not by much.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But unless you have some sort of legal restriction (live in Canada maybe), a 22lr shooting subsonic rounds is way cheaper and more effective.

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

friend of mine uses live traps so he can set them and let them work while he goes about his business. Feeds them in the traps until he gets a minimum of 3 stock piled which is usually daily then preps them all and into the freezer they go. Not sure about all that process but 5 traps running is pretty efficient.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Still laughing at the OP ... :D

j cal and renegade17 like this.
  13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say SpeedyE won't be posting here.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

No. That kind of money goes into things that go "pew pew".

MikeR likes this.
  15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

is that the scuba tank setup? what do you call the ones with a small CO2 canister? I just have a Daisy pump rifle.

16. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

This ^^^ , i’ve Purchased a few BB / Pellet guns over the past two years . They are all crap unless you spend at least $ 600. Bucks which is bullshit . I’m bouncing back and forth between my 10/22 with subsonic ammo and a couple of .410’s .
    Why someone can’t produce a Pellet Gun for the cost of a 10/22 is beyond me :confused: that can put consistent shot pattern on target

17. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I've got a Gamo Big Cat Maxxim .177 that will get the job done. It was about $200 (with new scope) but it's worth it IMO. A scope upgrade makes the shooting easier.

18. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

You'll shoot you're eye out! Sorry couldn't help it

dtalbott likes this.
  19. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

22 caliber air rifle works good on squirrels, paid like 300

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  20. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Find yourself an old Sheridan (Benjamin). They come in various flavors.