1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Bag Leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Sep 23, 2014.

1. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

I had a low side crash at Summit T5 last Monday. Tucked the front end on the brakes. Landed on my tail bone before rag dolling off the track. May have been hit from behind while sliding. Still waiting for promised video.
    I was wearing a inflatable vest that I bought a few weeks earlier after a buddy of mine went off T4 wearing one and said it saved him from serious damage.
    I am quite sure it saved me from more serious damage as well though the flap that was supposed to extend inflated over my tail bone was knocked upward and did nothing.
    I figure if an over the leathers vest helped then the air bag suits must be even better.
    Has anyone done a comparison of the systems available? I did a BBS search that did not turn up much.
    The Dainese system looks good but has no lower spine or lower back protection.
    Anybody have any experience with any of them?

2. Pure Sportbikes

Pure Sportbikes www.puresportbikes.com

If you bought an airbag vest at Summit, it was likely from me.

Alpinestars Tech Air suit seems to be far superior than the Dainese D-Air suit. The A-Stars suit inflates around your shoulders, collarbone, back, hips and tailbone, whereas the Dainese suit only inflates around the collarbone, shoulder, and upper back.

It should be noted that while these should provide impact protection to those areas, they don't stabilize your head and neck.

The external Hit-Air airbag vests that we sell provide excellent head and neck stabilization by utilizing a collar that sits over the top of your race hump, and when inflated, stabilizes your helmet. Even though the A-Stars would be my choice over the Dainese, I'd still choose a Hit-Air vest over either of the internal suits anyday.

Most trackday and racers are wearing the MLV-Lightweight model airbag vest, which is designed to offer more lower back and tailbone protection. However, I always recommend wearing a pair of impact shorts whether you choose to wear an airbag vest or not to protect your tailbone.

In case you are not aware, we have started stocking an updated racer model which provides a bit less protection in the lower back and no tailbone protection, but is super lightweight and has removable sponsor patches. Believe it or not, that's the number one reason most racers have said they don't want to wear one.

You can check out the product here...
    http://www.pure-asc.com/shop/moto-gear/rs-1-racer-vest-detail

3. grady anderson

Yes I got it from you. Very glad that you had it in stock.
    In both my case and Al's we both felt the head and neck stabilization. I just read about the Alpine Stars suit and am impressed though it seems a bit of an oversight to not complete the protection with the neck stabilization. My helmet is proof that I took several hits to the head yet do not even have a stiff neck.
    I don't care about stickers and would not accept reduced protection for a "racer's" model.
    I was considering Velcro to hold the lower flap down over the lower spine. What do you think of that idea?
    These vests are way cheaper than a new suit. Once Al told me about his experience I felt I would be foolish not to buy one. It paid off. Like any protective gear, once you know about it you have to justify NOT using it and not the other way around.
    I wonder how using the vest in conjunction with the Alpine Stars suit would work out. Can you have "too much" inflation protection. My gut feeling is NO but you have probably given it more thought than me.

4. Rusty848

Rusty848 Well-Known Member

I call to italy last week,and they have no answer when and if ever the alpinestars airbag system will be available in US.
    I own their race replica suit which is ready for the airbag system.
    Thinking about getting the vest,since I broke my collarbone week ago.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Dude you are a pavement magnet. Didnnt you just heal up from something broken?

6. Rusty848

Rusty848 Well-Known Member

It was hockey related ,torn up biceps.
    Rough year.

7. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

You didn't crash the Paul Smart, did you? (Hope you're ok, Grady!)

8. grady anderson

Stan, thanks for asking. I'll be fine with a little time.
    Though I did manage to adapt to the PS and manage a win I JUST did not gell with it. Sweet engine.
    Found it a good home with Bob Robbins and worked out an agreement with him that also included my Troll for a DB5R
    And THAT is what I crashed :-0
    Low hour Arai headed for my display shelf, torn leathers, sacrificial scars on a piece of rare Italian art and a reaffirmed belief that the best safety gear comes first
    I will be back on track in October thanks to both the required and optional safety gear I was wearing

9. grady anderson

I have broken and displaced most of the ribs to the left of my spine (2002) and then my collar bone snapped apart along with fracturing a half dozen or so on the right in 2007
    I am convinced that if I had been wearing this vest back then the injuries would have been lessened.
    To what degree?
    Who knows? But definitely reduced without a doubt
    But let's guess one less broken bone....
    $500
    What a deal!
    And unlike my helmet which is disposable and certainly cost more than the vest I bought a spare CO2 cartridge and the vest is ready to go back in service

10. When did the Alpinestars suit start inflating around the hips?

Technically the D-Air isn't available in the US either, but you can make it happen. I've been racing in one all year.

Haven't tested it yet. Hope to keep it that way.

11. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Glad you are ok man.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Glad to hear you're ok.

i was really thinking about buying a vest for next season, and it may cut into an extra day, but hearing mostly everyone walking away from their incidents unharmed for the most part, it may be worth it.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

RS Taichi is selling one.

14. Pure Sportbikes

15. Wellillbedamned. It didn't do that back when I was looking to have one made.

16. Now I think I need a new one.

17. Pure Sportbikes

I know right! Seems miles above the D-air. I want one, and im gonna wear my race vest over it too. Bubble racer lmao

18. Pure Sportbikes

Bet you can get a great used value on yours though, with accessibilty through stateside vendors still limited.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

What's interesting though....in MotoGP last year, it seemed most of the riders that broke their collarbones were in A* suits, while the Dainese riders didn't have any.

20. Haven't thought about that but now that you mention it, that does seem to be the case. I remember when I was trying to decide which one I wanted the D-Air seemed to provide better coverage and inflated bigger (more cushion). The collarbone is what I was/am looking to protect.

Maybe I don't need a new one.

The Alpinestars might have been improved/revised since then though.