1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahlan from the desert my friend

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Nov 28, 2022.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Reminds me of a joke:

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a PanAm 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747 (call sign "Speed bird 206") after landing: Speedbird 206: "Top of the morning Frankfurt. Speed bird 206, clear of the active runway." Ground: "Guten morgen! You will taxi to your gate!" The big British Airways 747 pulled onto the main taxi way and slowed to a stop. Ground: "Speed bird, do you not know where you are going?" Speed bird 206: "Stand by a moment ground. I'm looking up our gate location now." Ground: With some arrogant impatience, "Speed bird 206, have you never flown to Frankfurt before?!" Speed bird 206 (cooly): "Yes, I have, in 1944... But in another type of Boeing... I didn't stop."

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/ethnicarchive/germanaircontroljoke.html

2. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Jeddah has a pretty cool fountain. More laid back than Riyadh but that’s about it. Except for the Red Sea diving Saudi sucks.

CBRRRRR999 and motion like this.
  3. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Me too. Couldn't agree more.

motion likes this.
  4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Definitely go to Petra if you can, amazing place. Jerash (north of Amman) has a bunch of Roman ruins worth seeing.
    Overall Jordan is my favorite country in the ME.

jksoft and motion like this.
  5. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I get that 100%.
    My last vision going through Kuwait City left a lasting memory. Seeing the Iraqis left dead Kuwaitis hanging by the neck. It only got worse every time after that for the next 15 years in that part of the world.

motion likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Heading to Petra after Saudi Arabia.

jksoft likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can't even imagine. Thank you for your sacrifices.

I went to a museum fort last night. They sure do like their battles in this part of the world.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, have been to all those places except Iran. Trying to line up a tour there now (mandatory).

Sweatypants likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A couple of Brit vloggers were in Afghanistan recently. Interesting experience. Not sure I would be up for it, even if I was allowed in.

10. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Are you anywhere near Liwa? They do some absolutely BONKERS hill climb drag racing up those sand dunes. If you want to see people hate money more than motorcycle racers I definitely recommend.

Also, I really want to go to Turkey. My company recently started doing some manufacturing in Kayseri and I keep trying to come up with an excuse for them to send me.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Couldn't find Liwa on a map, so I don't think so. In Jeddah now.... so far, seems much better than Riyadh.

Turkey is a solid destination. They have a little bit of everything there. Kayseri is pretty close to Cappadocia, which is a good visit.

12. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

The whole Turkish coastline is full of nice historic sites. I got to visit the region hefore and after the shitshow began after the Shah fell.
    Dad was stationed at Incirlik and I did Persian Gulf cruises for interdict and anti piracy.
    The whole region seems to have regressed despite the technology and money.

13. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

So Motion, have you spent any time in Bangkok?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I told you where to go look for hot kite surfers.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A lot. I wonder where this is heading? lol

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Dude the last thing I need right now is anything remotely related to a female and especially a hot female.

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Sooooo Thailand?

YamahaRick and auminer like this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Monastery in Tibet?

motion likes this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

get yourself a gold chain and a back hair sweater and go sit in a turkish bath house for some bro time

20. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Sly dog.