1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dutch, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like unions - it had a place and time and those are both past.

Plenty of laws in place to combat what AA was trying to do.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I find it interesting that the people complaining about this decision talk about the fact that it takes away a level playing field. I think it restores a level playing field. Why should a rich African American woman from a fancy suburban neighborhood have an admissions advantage over a poor white kid from inner city Baltimore? I know both of those are minorities, but it just favors one minority over another in that case.

If they want to base it on socioeconomic factors, I am OK with that to a point as those areas do need role models so that others see that there is hope for a better life. Race and gender should not be part of the equation.

In the end, this decision did not end AA, it only said that voters are allowed to end it at the state level for state related and controlled processes. It will be interesting to see if the rollback of AA continues elsewhere and what the impact of that would be.

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

AA, racism at its best!

5. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

When I lived in Louisiana, the last census showed that the minority had become the majority in the Parish. Local agencies moved to stop their AA programs as a result, partly because of the increased project costs of the program, and partly because it was no longer 'valid' under census guidelines. The (former) minority community went ape shit over that one.

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I agree about the current form of Unions need to change. AA still has its place in certain circumstances. It's a long term investment that is evidently a hard sell...

7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Example?

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's a hard sell because it's unconstitutional.
    Dress it up any way you want, you are offering benefits to people based on race alone.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm going to start claiming that I am not only African-American, but I also have full-body vitiligo.

Pay me, bitch!! :D

10. In Your Corner

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I know a number of white people who got minority scholarships to historically black colleges. Whose bitching about that?

12. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are.

13. In Your Corner

Well, they kind of have to let a few whities in.

Besides, what does that have to do with racial preferences?

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hey, 2%! Whose side are you on? :confused:

15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I support AA but along class lines, not racial lines.

I see a poor white Appalachian child no differently than a poor black boy from Detroit.

As it was, a wealthy black kid could get assistance just for being black. That is not acceptable in my opinion.

16. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Good riddance! Maybe....

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I think that is how it should be.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was born a poor black child.

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

did your dad drop you off at the pool? :D