1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice, opinions on GSXR600 engine build for GSXR powered race car

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Russco, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Russco

Russco New Member

I have some questions on this top end I was hoping I could get some opinions or input on. I have ZERO experience on these GSXR600 motors. I have a good bit with older Honda 600's but not these. This motor is used in a Mini Sprint so its a bit different than what you guys are doing with yours I expect. We run it pretty much from 11,000 to about 15,800 and pretty much wide open almost all the time. First question is, quench is calculated to be .028. Piston is .010 down the hole and Cometic .018 gasket. This sound ok? There doesn't seem to be any piston interference with dome vs. chamber/valves so were just looking at quench. Second question is concerning cam timing. ( I understand nobody wants to give away secrets so maybe just in general) This is a (2012 motor) 2 MM over 13.5 comp. with stock head and 01H cams swapped out from the 14J cams. I used to run 103 IN C/L and 107 EX C/L with good results on the Hondas but I figured this will probably be a bit different so I was thinking like 105 IN and 107 EX? maybe, assuming PTV still is good. Which is the next question I used to like a minimum of .030 and .050 at the very least. is that still good on these?
    Also what are you guys using for dial indicator fixtures on these? I had a great tool for the Hondas that mounted to cam towers and read the lobes off of number 4 coming up as number 1 was opening the valves. Does anyone sell anything like that for the GSXR's? I'll stop there for now. Thanks in advance for any input, its appreciated as always.