1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on MGB - Engine Stall

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxernaut, Jul 25, 2022.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Electrical. Fueling issue isn't going to shut off like that.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My initial thought was vapor lock or the tank cap isn’t breathing?

Take a can of starter fluid, electric cleaner or carb clean with you next drive.

If someone else is with you, while trying to start squirt the electrical component with the above fluid. The squirting and quick evaporation will cool it enough that it should start working again if it was heat related.

If that didn’t work, shoot some starter fluid in the throats of the webers and see if she cranks up then. If she does then it is fuel related.

As others mentioned bad pump, clogged filter, rust sloshing around in tank.

I missed it if you said it, but someone mentioned you didn’t use the new coil, if so put the rest of the new electronics on with that electronic ignition.

Oh yea, check your ground wires to block, starter, chassis.

3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Finally got around to fooling with this some more yesterday. In response to @t500racer who asked why I didn't install the new coil when I put in the new distributor, it was because I wasn't sure whether the coil I ended up with was the correct one for the car. MGB used a ballast resistor on some cars in 1975 and not on others. Mine has the rubber bumper which means it was supposed to have a coil requiring a ballast resistor. To make things even more complicated it seems some used a visible ceramic ballast resistor located near the coil while others simply used a wire with 1.5 ohms of resistance. I really didn't think twice about it when I ordered the kit and ordered the one that seemed to be correct for this model.

Since the car ran fine once I put the new distributor in I didn't bother with the new coil. Now that I'm having second thoughts about the coil's health and have done more digging in I've come to the conclusion that at some point someone removed the ballast resistor (or bypassed the ballast wire) and opted for the non ballast coil. The coil currently on the car is the Lucas DLB-101 which appears to be non-ballast. I guess I'm going to try putting a new one of those in along with fresh wires and plugs. We'll see how that turns out.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Was thinking exactly this