1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed-Dealing with bad tint/clearbra install

Discussion in 'General' started by MCW, Feb 10, 2011.

1. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 WRX and wanted to get the windows tinted and clearbra applied. I did alot of research and found a shop not too far away that had good reviews on various forums. I had them do it and they did a really poor install, Im not being petty, its bad. Last weekend, I showed it to the installer he admitted the 90% of the car needed to be redone (tint and clearbra) and would have the manager call me. The manager called and said they can redo it and would need the car for 2 days this time and they would also refund me $100 (I originally paid $700) for my trouble. I explained to the manager I cant be without my car for 2 days and I was disatisfied with only returning $100 (it cost me more than that in vacation time in order to drop it off to them).

Now heres my dilema, since they did such a sloppy/poor job the first time, I am reluctant to give them another try, not to mention the issues of dropping the car off, finding a ride to work, having to take time off due to coming into late bc of this, etc. When I spoke to them today, I said I would email pictures of the problems tonight. Should I even bother fighting with them or just dispute the charge with my cc (Discover) and have it redone somewhere else? Ive never had to dispute a charge before. Thanks for any advice or feedback.

2. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're trying to make it right. You can bet the manager will be closely looking after the job this time. I understand the issue with the car, but couldn't you rent a car for like 20/day for those couple days? Maybe ask for a bit more money to help cover rental car expenses and the inconvenience.

3. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i would give them the chance to make it right, its good your going with the clearbra on the car, subaru paint chips very easily

4. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

+1 on both. Owned a wrx and a legacy, chip chip chip.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You cant drop the car off the night before and find a ride to work? What the hell happens if your car breaks down? Not much of a backup plan you have eh?

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Give them the chance to fix it. everybody has a bad day every once in a while. If you opt to dispute the charges and have it fixed else where than you can never bad mouth them. They tried to make you happy but you refused to give them the opportunity.

7. richmeyer

richmeyer Active Member

Give them a chance to fix it. Maybe ask the manager to make sure he puts his best guy on the job. Fighting the charge and taking the car to another shop is going to be more trouble than what youre looking at right now. I think a $100 discount is also fair.

8. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

Use the hundo to catch a cab to work.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm always weary of using someone who already did a bad job. i usually just suck the loss of $$ up and use someone else and never go back to that place again.

10. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the replies, Ill take the advice and work with them to resolve the issues.

They also cut through the paint on both side mirrors when trimming the clearbra, that seems to be the only permanent damage they have caused. Ill just have to live with it, its not going to be able to be buffed out. The bad trimming, alignment and dirt under the clearbra and tint at least arent permanent.

Currently, I commute 1.25 hours in and 1.5 hours home each day, that makes dropping the car off and finding a ride difficult.

11. corsemoto

corsemoto Well-Known Member

What shop and brand of ppf film are they using? Pre-cut kit or bulk film install and how much of the car? I don't do tint but I do paint protective film and good film and installation are critical. You can't lowball this product a necessarily expect a high-end outcome (and not saying that's the case here).

If it's a tint shop, not all tint guys can install ppf, def different games. If the tints bad too, I'd be reluctant to have the same guys do the install, see if they have a more experienced installer or get a refund and go elsewhere.

Sometimes you need a car more than a day/overnight to insure a perfect install, especially in winter. Good luck an pm me if you'd like.

Edit: Just saw your reply and if they cut through the paint on an install, don't have them redo it, sounds like a hack job! I don't personally know anyone in your area bit I can contact the company I use and recommend an installer for ppf. This is why I recommend pre-cut kits like what XPEL offers, zero risk of paint damage from a razor knife. These guys are cheaper because they don't have to invest in a plotter or the software to cut kits on a plotter and install.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I agree with everyone else. Give them a chance as they are trying to make it right.

13. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

I came here looking for a picture of a clearbra. I'm completely bummed.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

THIS!

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'd settle for no less than replacement or repaint of the mirrors as part of the deal. They damaged the paint. There's no reason you should have to live with it.

16. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Had a poor job done on my old civic. Sent my girl to a recommended shop. They really hosed it up bad. I show up they promise it would be done right.

Ended up asking for a refund after they F'd it up the second time. Bubbles they said they would have to poke. They refused refund. Credit card smack down and they relented with the refund.

Found a local shop that did the job right. I let them know what happened before and showed them pics of what I would not tolerate.

Good luck!

17. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

Ive attached a few pics.
    Keep the feedback coming, I appreciate it.

The middle pic shows some of the cut into the paint and how much the clearbra shrunk.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  18. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

The picture with the screw in it is the front bumper/license plate mount.

Attached Files:

19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I would take the $100, have them pay to have the paint cuts fixed, and have them set up a rental car to be picked up whn you drop the car back off to them for the redo.

20. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

They definitely did a shitty job.