1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding motion sensor to existing garage LED lamps

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, May 24, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This is driving me crazy. Should be so simple but I can't find anything on fleabay to do this.

Looking for a motion sensor that plugs inline to 110V outlet between outlet and garage LED hanging lights. I know some of the newer LED lamps come with motion sensors, but mine don't have them. Don't really want to ditch what I have and start over.

Any ideas?

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Replace the switch?

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Each lamp has a hanging chain :)

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So you have lights that are plugged into a receptacle?

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah with some of them linked together. Ceiling receptacles.

6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

motion likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

nd4spd likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Does your garage door opener have a light bulb socket?
    images.jpg

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I hate working in places that have those things. Sitting on the floor fixing something after 5 minutes all the lights turn off.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have them on 2 fixtures in the garage. Of the 5 the 3 mains ones are handled by the wall switch. I took two of these and wired them via the garage door opener outlet in the cieling. This allowed me to pull the bulbs our of the openers and cover the top of them to keep the birds from nesting in them. Those 2 fixtures come on when the doors go up or when you step out in the garage.

12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Dont over complicate. You can buy bulbs with built-in sensors. I use them in and outside of my garage.