1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding 250 4strokes to the 80cc class?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JamesG, Jul 5, 2001.

1. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Since Mongo seems to have missed (ignored)this idea in the general forum...
    And this seems a good place for it.

What do you think of adding 250cc 2 cyl. fours strokes (Ninja250s, baby Interceptors) to the fledgling 80cc 2 stroke class?

Keep out the greymarket GSXR & CBR 250s, but give a place for the EX250s to run.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I must have missed it sorry.

Well, for right now we don't even have any 80's so there's nothing to add to. If we had some 250's I'd consider giving them their own deal and maybe run it with Clubman or something but even when they were competitive in Formula 3 no one ran one other than Ed Bruner and Bargy had one that Jennifer (Fer) Appel rode. I think all of the other migrated out west to run AFM....

3. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Well,

ya think maybe there aren't any 'cause there's no class for them to run on the east coast?
    Sort of a chicken and egg kinda question...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, like I said - when we did run a class in which they were very competitive (even winning championships), no one ran them anyway - that's why the class rules changed...

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I raced against a CBR250 at Rockingham back in 95 and it was way down on power on the front straigh. Saw the bike had a 19,000 rpm redline though.

6. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Yeah thats what I've heard, which was why the idea of adding 250s to the 80cc class occured to me. If neither mopeds or baby ninjas have enough (any) following, possible the both together might after a while?

I don't think a big demand for an ultralight class will come out of the woodwork overnight, but Derbi is selling alot of GPRs and there are EX250s everywhere. If WERA would offer it, maybe some of the minis guys would come over for something different and racers would buy a EX for their kids to race, etc.
    I would have picked this light(cheap) class to race in if it had been available. And problably will if anyone else does, which is why I'm whipping this very small, very dead horse. [​IMG]

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I heard a whinny so it ain't dead yet....

8. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Well, ya want cheap racin', why not build a supermini (80cc)? We'll be racing them at Baton Rouge in September.

Jack

Now, back to 125GP [​IMG]

9. suzuki93

suzuki93 Well-Known Member

Jack are you talking about NPR?

10. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Yes, it's been added to RPM's schedule for September 23? weekend. It looks like a fun track and they said they're going to have a cookout, I assume crawfish boil, Saturday night. Sounds like it's going to be a really fun weekend and the track looks killer in the pictures, not your typical drag strip track. It's a bit of a drive for me, nine hours I figure, but I'm going to make it. Gotta keep up the mini points and wanna run my 125 there.

Jack

11. suzuki93

suzuki93 Well-Known Member

I will be there but the crawfish won't. Crawfish are in season from late February until late June(really anything after Late May is pushing it). I am sure we can find some alligator, jambalaya, or shrimp. Maybe some oysters. [​IMG]

The date according to NPR's website is 14, 15, and 16 of September.

[This message has been edited by suzuki93 (edited 07-09-2001).]

12. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

it will be the 15th and 16th of September.

13. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Bet it's shrimp. Well, anyway, yes, that date does sound more like it. I knew it was my short weekend (I'm a shift worker). And, I'm still going to bring a beer or two to wash it down with Saturday night. I know how dem cajuns are with that Cayan. Hotter than Texas Jalapenos.

Jack