1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Fuel Management

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 18, 2018.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The lease on my 2015 Silverado 1500 is up at the end of October and it looks like my most affordable option is leasing a 2018 which has AFM. I've heard complaints about this feature, do any of you have a truck with it?
    I understand it can't be turned off except with aftermarket gizmos.

2. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra. New pistons, rings the whole nine yards on Chevy's dime. Mine has that AFM and early on they had a good amount of issues. They might have that sorted out now. I think I'm at 170K now on the odometer and so far so good. I'm thinking of getting something else, truck still looks good just getting long in the tooth. I keep saying once something major fails, like the 4wd, I'd get rid of it. Dealer tells me to never get rid of it, its solid so we shall see. Just a tough pill to swallow for what they want for a new truck with all the stuff I want on it these days....

3. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

I also have an 08 with AFM....... Maybe better now but I'd say skip it and wait the 2019 models with DFM. Hopefully the AFM issues will be a thing of the past.

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My 2010 sierra 1500 has it. I've been told it is the cause of an oil burning issue that this truck has had since new. Will burn about almost a L over 5-7000km (it varies, sometimes less). I was told this is due to oil riding up the cylinders on the ones that aren't fired, and because they aren't under firing pressure the oil gets past the rings. When the cyl DOES fire that oil is burnt. Sounds kinda plausible, and would explain why sometimes it barely burns any at all. But I'm not an engine guy. Truck has 220,000km and zero issues aside from that.

My buddy has a 2012 the same as mine, and it does the same thing. Aside from hitting deer and playing bumper cars with drunk drivers he's had zero issues with his and has about the same amount of mileage.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Is that like Chevy's version of MDS on Chrysler vehicles where it shuts down 1/2 the cylinders when it doesn't need them. Apparently my Durango has that, never caused me any issues.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Basically. We've had a few with lifter that jam up and then it needs the heads removed to get to them. I haven't seen too many issues with them, but another mechanic here has one and wish he could disable the damn thing because even though it's suppose to be seamless he says he can tell right away when it tries to turn on. I've driven in many of them and I personally don't really like them but some people can't tell. This is on older generations of trucks so maybe they refined it a bit since.

turner38 likes this.
  7. TWH

TWH Well-Known Member

I've got a 2016 Silverado 1600 with 6 speed transmission that has it. No issues thus far, but I'm not even up to 20k miles yet.
    If you drive the truck in M5 (vs Drive) AFM will not activate. That's fine around town, but on the highway you probably want the rest of the gears.

jasonhise likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

What kind of mileage do you get?

9. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Doesn't the 2015 have it too?

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

2015 should have it if it's a v8...?

I had an 08 Silverado with the 5.3 and never had a problem, but I did have it disabled for the last year or two I had it. Just got rid of it with 135k and it didn't burn oil. My dad's truck was the newer style 07 with a 6.0 and it drank oil. Also, had a coworker with a 2015 that burnt oil at 50k. I just upgraded to a 2018 and I'm debating disabling it.

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Its really hit and miss and depends on your driving style. Spend more time in 4 cylinder mode and you will burn more oil and increase the chance of dropped lifters.

My 2011 Sierra 5.3 has 122k miles on it and still rocking strong. I lose half a quart over 5000 miles and change the oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic each time.

My brothers 2008 Sierra 5.3 has been burning a full quart every 4k miles since 110k miles and hes at 150k now.

Since I like to tinker with everything I own, Im in the process of getting parts to delete the AFM/DoD out of my truck. There is quite a bit involved and can get costly if you have a shop do it. To get rid of it correctly, you will essentially need a non AFM cam, non AFM lifters and trays, valley cover and head gaskets plus engine tuning to get rid of the dash lights.

12. TWH

TWH Well-Known Member

The dash claims I get between 20 and 22 most of the time around town. I drive like an old man though. Hand calculation is closer to 19 mpg.

I've not checked for burning oil as another commenter experienced. I do run an air/oil separator to keep oil off the intake valves, and I pour out a few ounces after 3 to 4k miles.

This includes towing the race trailer to and from races. I've only missed a couple fill-ups since new.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/silverado_1500/2016/pbnut/443792

13. In Your Corner

I assume it is, but I haven't had any problems. Some older models did though, and I saw a few complaints on the 2018 models and was wondering about it.
    They change it from year to year so mine working okay doesn't mean a 2018 will be the same.

14. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

15. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yeah, this seems to be a situation where Dodge did it better. My
    Challenger is seemless, and I've driven a bunch of 5.7 Rams with it that were also, with no oil consumption problems.

16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Dumb question......but when you guys notice it kicking in/out what is it doing. The past couple weeks I've noticed a miss fire/stumble around the same point in my commute home. Never gave it much thought until tonight after reading this thread, and it was a bit of a "ah ha" moment. It's after a very long gradual decline, heading into a slight incline on the hwy. Never really noticed it anywhere else, just there, and it's happened enough recently that I've noticed the pattern. Never thought it could be that until tonight. Thoughts? (sorry to highjack your thread).

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The only real issue with them is lifters sticking and picking up a miss.
    You can get them flashed and disable the system as wellaspick up a little power and economy. If i bought one I would do it pretty quick....
    Got one in the shop now getting lifters.

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Wow! Glad you guys posted this! I got a 2010 Silverado,and was trying to figure why it drank oil?
    Im at 110,000 the only think I've had to do is replace transmission computer.
    This explains why it likes oil so damn much.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not sure what year you have but some say when it's in "V4 or V8 mode", usually on the fuel economy screen, should be easy to tell that way. Usually it kicks in similar to how you're saying when you're stumble comes on. They will disable cylinders on really light loads and deceleration when the V8 isn't needed per say. I still think its useless as I drive with them and anytime the V4 is active it seems like i need to put my foot into it enough to hold the speed and it jumps right out of it immediately, ala wtf is the point? . Put an exhaust on it and it sounds terrible too.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I had a 2017 1500 high country that had it. I put over 100,000 miles on it in 20 months and never had an issue. Now I have a 2018 GMC All Terrain that has it. I only have 2000km on it, but everything seems ok so far.