1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acetylene for torches= extinct

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, May 9, 2011.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Anybody else hearing this at work, or is this only a Michigan thing?

We literally can't get acetylene now.

2. sdg

sdg *

WHAT?

Why?

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Some story about 1 company in the US producing it, some new propane stuff being available, and some go green stuff that will be available soon, but isn't quite ready.

4. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

i haven't heard that. I hope its no the case. Propane sucks in comparison.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Wow, that would make my job a pain in the ass.

6. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Here's the deal: the plant that produces most of this regions calcium carbide was located in Kentucky. A few weeks back, they suffered a massive explosion, halting production. Since acetylene is the by product of water and calcium carbide: no acetylene. We (Airgas) have put acetylene on a 70% allocation. We are trying to convert most users to propane & propylene (mapp gas), but this will not work in every case. It's going to worse before it gets better!

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Hasn't affected us on the west coast yet. I just got three bottles from our local airgas today. ?? Hope it doesn't hit us out here, I am just starting a decent sized job, lots of copper pipe that we use B tanks to solder

8. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

In the Northeast,My Airgas supplier is trying to switch everyone to Ametaline gas.600 degrees hotter than acetylene.More stable on its own and is non toxic to breathe.The torches use a similar tip to Propane,but require a hoses of a different material as it will leak through the regular oxy/acetylene setup.We just got the equipment last week but have not yet used it.I will report back in this thread when i do.

9. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  10. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

I buy 50 bottles or more a week, our supplier told us there is an alternative process to make acetylene and there should be no problem. They are charging me a $0.019 surcharge per cubic foot, though.

I've heard great things about propane, but it has always been from salesmen.

11. sdg

sdg *

I ran a great big oxy-propane torch at the junkyard in high school. It worked fine, but I can't really compare because I wasn't buying the gas, and I've never run an oxy-acetylene torch anywhere near that big.

It was a blast.

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Propane sucks pretty hard compared to acetylene for cutting. Dunno about other uses.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My wife runs the office for a welding / machine shop. They get all their supplies from Airgas, she got a call from the local store manager a few days after it happened giving them a heads up. " The price is gonna be going up and may get to the point that we just can't get it "

14. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

We are still good at the moment here in South Carolina. We will just use our plazma cutters, so screw the oxy-ace set-up.