1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/M Master cylinders in SS

Discussion in 'General' started by RichDesmond, Apr 15, 2000.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Sean,

If I'm reading the rules correctly an aftermarket master cylinder is illegal in SS classes. Any chance we could change this? The aftermarket ones don't have any performance advantage, but they're cheaper to buy than the OEM parts, and in the case of an SV at least, more crash damage resistant. Since one of the big motivations for SS rules is to keep costs down, I think this would be a good change.

Thanks,
    Rich Desmond #352

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Me thinks there is a performance advantage in some m/c's. I had a Brembo variable ration m/c and it was definitely loads better than any OEM m/c I have used: you could change lever effort on the fly.

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

What you need to look for is a replacement from another manufacturer or an aftermarket one that is the exact same manufacturer as your original part (i.e. the masters from a GSXR750 and a ZX6R are exactly the same thing). What we don't want is a bigger size or a perfomance enhancing master like the Brembo one mentioned...

4. RichDesmond

Sean,

What I've gone to is an aftermarket Nisan (same brand as stock) that's the same bore (5/8's) as the stock one. However, it's a remote reservoir style, rather than integrated like the stock one. Am I legal??

Thanks,
    Rich Desmond #352

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

Why not get a Nissin with the remote reservoir? Anyway, let me check on some things and I'll get back to you.

Sean

6. lathe dog

lathe dog Well-Known Member

sean,

a couple of other questions while your cheking on the legality of the remote reservior for the sv;

is the suzuki contingency in d super or light twins?

ss or sb rules?

sv contingency at talladega this month?

is their a hp limit for the sv at the gnf yet?

thanx

7. WERA

WERA Administrator

It's in LW Twins - I have yet to ask Suzuki to change it tho.

It'll be by LW Twins rules.

Ummmm, check the schedule? (I don't know off the top of my head if it's there it's listed).

No SV GNF info at this point.

8. RichDesmond

Uhh, that's what I did, I just didn't spell Nissin correctly<g>.

Rich

9. WERA

WERA Administrator

DOH! And I misread the remote part so I'll change my question to the following "Why not just ge a Nissin master without a remote reservoir?" [​IMG]

BTW I know the answer - I haven't seen any aftermarket either with the built in reservoir....

10. RichDesmond

Nope, me either, and even if there were that would only solve half the problem, the other half being the crash vulnerablity of the stock piece. Over half the right side SV crashes I've seen have destroyed the MC. Basically, since any modern sport bike can do smooth 2-finger stoppies I can't imagine any big advantage to a high dollar replacement. I know I wouldn't care if somebody lined up next to me with a $1000 brembo unit. It wouldn't affect the outcome of the race. Anyway, this is all just my 2 cents worth. On a semi-related topic, any chance of a D SS class next year?

Thanks,
    Rich

11. WERA

WERA Administrator

DSS - don't know. I doubt it though since the only new D class bike is the SV and if we made the 400's go to SS they wouldn't be competitive, all this boils down to an SV class which isn't really justified right now.

12. lathe dog

lathe dog Well-Known Member

the two ccs lightweight ss races i have gone to this year had decent grids!