1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A lot to take in...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by DeathMagnet, Mar 5, 2017.

1. DeathMagnet

DeathMagnet Life behind bars...

I am new to all of this and I am very keen on starting in this adventure. I am stuck at bike selection. I know, it could be a holy war but, I do need some sage guidance as none of my friends are into this and I am stuck.

I bought a 2005 Ducati 999 for a steal and went through making it track ready, it is done and it was fun but...It is a LOT of bike and I worry I have bitten off more than I can chew, I don't think this is a bike to START with as it is quite a handful and quite costly to repair. It is also street legal and would be a shame to slide down the track.

On to the question. I have seen that the pro's started young with small displacement bikes to learn proper techniques prior to increasing horsepower. With the range of bike available I am looking for where to start.

I am a 200lb guy that has been riding a long time (Dirt, Adventure and Cross Country) and have many many miles under my belt. Being surrounded by bigger and/or faster things don't shake me at all nor could I care. I also have many bikes from Harleys to BMW's and Gas Gas, I am not brand loyal nor do I care what people think of my ride.

Should I:
    • Start with the 250cc-390cc bikes and learn to corner?
    • Pick up a proven 600cc and have fun and not total my Duc for the sake of starting smaller?
    • Jump in with both feet and throw caution to the wind and head to the track with my 999 and hope for the best.
    I am not too far away from Mid-Ohio so track days wont be an issue.

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Prepare yourself, the SV650 recommendations are coming - and probably for good reason.

Big Sherm, beac83, rk97 and 5 others like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

get you a honda 100 or ttr125. Run it here... http://omrlmoto.com/

Skill set transfers right over. Plus there are lots of good guys in that org that race WERA as well.
    Resist the "urge" to sooperbike the minibike. Just ride them as close to stock as possible except for changing the front wheel.

rk97 likes this.
  4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

SV 650

Big Sherm likes this.
  5. DeathMagnet

I am now full of questions... I might do this just to have a fun adventure with my boys!! Thanks for the info.

6. DeathMagnet

I have heard good things about the SV's and this is the information I need as I don't want to get something I will regret aka too big/small.

As it stands:

SV650 - 2
    Do the Duc - 0
    Have fun on mini's - 1

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Quite possibly one of the worse bikes to make your first foray into tracking with for all sorts of reasons.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Minis are definitely cool and great for learning. I'd do that on top of the bigger bike on a full course.

As was said - SV650. Find one already prepped and go ride it.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The Ohio guys are all super nice people and have a great club structure. One day Ill make an event or 2 up there.

rk97 likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Do you have one for sale?

:D

11. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

Sooo how much for the 999?

12. DeathMagnet

My wife wished I thought that way [emoji12]

I am keeping it as a street bike for now. Can't have too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That's certainly true. Had to learn the hard way.

DMag, I have both 250 ninja and an SB SV that coming up for sale soon. Good luck whatever you decide.

14. DeathMagnet

Let me know as I will end up getting something in addition to the 999 and would like to see what you have when they go up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Shenanigans

possibly:beer:

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

me not any more.
    :(

Shenanigans likes this.
  17. Shenanigans

you can buy mine:beer: or the Ninjette:beer:

18. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

19. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

I can relate to #2. Started out on a zx6 and rode if for almost 2 years. Sold it (for various reasons) and picked up an sv650 with the intention of truly learning how to ride... dropped 4 seconds my second TD on it.

Edit - Also came from a dirtbike background and weigh 200 lbs. The sv650 will have no problems carrying your weight.

Boman Forklift and DeathMagnet like this.
  20. DeathMagnet

Thanks all.