1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good book/ movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Nov 3, 2019.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Hachi,A dogs story had me tearing up,even watching the trailer.Based on a true story

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah Marley and me is good

The dude in the wild is stoooopid

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still trying to figure out why people think he's something special. Special stupid maybe but other than that he's just another moron who got himself killed.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Often the destination isn't important, it's the trip there.

'Into the Wild' is a good book.

The other Krakhauer (sp?) book 'Into Thin Air' (I see a pattern here) is also excellent...

ToofPic likes this.
  5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I don't know that anyone would argue,but...
    I think its more about his hippie mindset of fug the society life,college,food ,common sense.Had he pulled it off,it would have been some epic Ted Nugent shit.
    Walking off into the woods,making it,but he didn't so just another Darwin trophy winner.To much young man angst? He should have bought a Busa!

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His mindset is what got him dead. That is exactly what I don't understand celebrating.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. Ohh is that the one where the dog keeps going back to the station every day for years and years, waiting for his person to get off the bus (or it might have been a train)?

That one is based on a true story.

Yeah, it had me all fucked up.

ToofPic likes this.
  8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Because "celebrating" isn't the correct reaction.
    This seems relevant.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His opinion on what is or isn't cinema doesn't really seem to pertain to my opinion on what is or isn't celebrating stupid behavior :D

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

woosh. I am betting you read 100 words or less. <no smilie>

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, no point after that. If they want to draw you in they should write better. Also no smilie...

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"The mindset that got him killed"

That is rich coming from motorcycle racing BBS.....

:D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, that would be a street racing bbs, here we do stupid as safely as possible :D

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It was actually pretty easy no matter how smart you thought you were at the time. I cooked in Alaska at remote fishing fly in float plane lodges at the time. We went out and foraged local plants/herbs/berries. There was no internet, no google. I had a couple bring back mushrooms to me that they found on a hike and wanted me to cook. I had a book with illustrations/ not even real pictures but descriptions. They were adamant they were safe and paying lots of money to stay there, I refused to cook them but told them they could cook it for themself because I don't want the guilt if they die, it's at your own risk??? They were fine, the mushrooms were good but there is such a fine line, now with the internet and google its different, back then you would look at a drawing and read a description. I think basically the guy was young and dumb, like most young people, but he just ate the wrong berry, plant, or mushroom by mistake because he was hungry

pscook likes this.
  15. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

"The Art Of Racing In The Rain" is really well-written. Tragic story, though. Some interesting views on racing in general. Seen through a dog's eyes, was at the top of the New York Times bestseller list for months. Movie was good, but like most that are adapted from novels it lacked the depth of the book.

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I thought it was a good movie even though he died at the end. He definitely had a different perspective than the norm. He lived life on his terms.

pscook likes this.
  17. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Two people have died trying to hike to the infamous bus since the movie/book. Both trying to cross the raging river. Stupid people do stupid things like using preexisting rope.

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Yes, the bus has become an off the beat tourist attraction. Life has lots of choices, they choose theirs. Is it right or wrong???? Like any normal person would say we are idiots to drive a motorcycle as fast as possible for a little brass club trophy around a track where people die. In the end of the day, you choose your risks, no matter what people think

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I can not believe that the beeb just let this little gem sit there for almost a month with no comment... :D

JJJerry likes this.
  20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

In general, I would agree with you as there is a risk of death on the track. In truth, you are comparing risks with safety equipment and measures such as EMS at the track versus taking a risk miles away from help, using questionable equipment, and with poor judgement/skills.