1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'95 FZR 600 competent in V7?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rk97, Dec 1, 2014.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

guy on my local riding forum has a crashed (running) Yamaha for $700. Sub-frame is bent, but otherwise only cosmetic damage.

I have never owned a Yamaha, but I know some of their older 'sport' bikes had 18" rear wheels. Tell me this isn't one of them...

My wife will make me sleep with the bike if I buy this before Christmas, so if anyone else is interested, PM me for a link to the thread. Not my bike, but I would garage it until someone else can pick it up if anyone is interested, and not able to make the trip up to Ohio to get it. I believe the bike is located in the Dayton area. The user's location is listed as Springfield.

I can't believe it hasn't sold locally as a starter bike, or to someone who is afraid of crashing their fancy street 600 at the track.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If it is an FZR, it has an 18" wheel. Lots of info available to install an F2 wheel, so don't let that be your big hurdle. Also, you can replace the 3" front wheel with a 3.5" front from a 1995/1996 YZF600 with a bearing and spacer swap. The front rotors are direct between the first model YZF and the FZR. Bodywork used to be tough to find with an oil lower, so you might have to turkey pan the lower or get familiar with fiber glass work.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Competent? Depends on the rider. The FZR did very well in 89-90, then everybody else caught up. Equal riders and the FZR is mid-pack. BTW the 89-99 FZR is essentially the same bike so having a 95 is not any better than having a 90, nor worse than having a 99. 10 years of bold new graphics LOL.

For $700 you can't go wrong. $500 cash and you can probably have it.

Here's a good read for determining whether you are looking at a stud or a dud.

http://fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1445

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

bodywork? I'm not throwing money at a $700 bike!

number plates and a belly pan. Done. :P

I probably don't want to get into a rear wheel swap for the same reason. I'll hundred-dollar myself into a bike that is more expensive than a solid F2. Should never have sold mine :(

5. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

Now that was funny