1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 CBR 600 F2 Mods - Phase 1

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by JNSRacing, Jun 8, 2012.

1. JNSRacing

JNSRacing Well-Known Member

That would be awesome, as I'd really like to go to Barber, but unfortunately, V7 events will have to definitely wait until next year, and even then I'm not sure if I could fanangle it, financially, as the average trip to all the circuits WERA races is 17 hours - it sucks being in the midwest, more precisely, right in the middle of the country. Even CCS Midwest, would require me to make five 11 hour trips to Blackhawk, a 13 hour trip to Road America, a 22 hour trip to Daytona, with just one round at HPT, which is a reasonable distance... I'm not complaining, but the fact of the matter is, this is not affordable for a low budget racer in Kansas, and it would also be nice to be able to hit enough rounds to be really involved in any championship.

My goal for next season is MCRA, to get my feet wet, is to race MCRA, which will give me a valid opportunity to see how I do in a championship season, as they have two rounds at HPT, which is 2 hours away, 4 rounds at Gateway, which is 7 hours away, and only 2 rounds at Putnam Park, which is about 10 hours away - this will be more affordable for next season, which is important, as I still have quite a few things I need to acquire to be "race ready"... I still need a generator, tire warmers, and my helmet, boots, and leathers, are not of the grade that I want to be racing with, they are just getting me by for these last two track days - any off with these leathers and boots, and they would be done for... I am slowly but surely getting there.

CMRA is my ultimate goal, but those guys are really fast, and I'm not even considering running the F2 in that series - I'll need newer, lighter, and faster equipment for that, not to mention, more race experience to build up to it.

By the way Chuck, thanks for the pointers/warnings regarding the paint job - it aint' looking anything near what you could have done, but it will work for now!

2. JNSRacing

Dang it, Smoke, now I'm gonna have bad visions of getting my spine stuck by that thing! No, not really, I'm just gonna hope for the best - I've never mounted race plastics before, and that seemed like a cheap, easy solution.

Besides, John Hopkins got a foot-peg up his butt once in a crash :eek:, and we're not taking those off!

3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Go to Lowes or Home Depo and get a 4' stick of flat aluminum. You can bend it easily which can replace that spike Smoke is admiring :D

Slide a Dzues clip over it and then drill a hole in tale for the make part of the Dzues....DONE....:up:

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

:stupid:

5. JNSRacing

I thought about using a Dzus - I have some extras - and the hole's already there, that's how it mounts now: a button head cap screw with a bonded sealing washer is threading into a coupling nut at the top of that length of all-thread.

Also, here's the finished front number plate, with all the plastic mounted - clear-coat is next, if I can find some that will work with this paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JNSRacing

That stinkin' "do more work" bug bit me, and I decided to chop my Yosh can, to save a tiny bit more weight - in race trim, with the new smaller seat, I've cut another 2 1/4 lb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Cool now its just a 450lb 85hp motorcycle, keep cutting weight and you'll be able to catch those 1st gen SV650's.

;) :D

8. JNSRacing

I get where you're going with this, and these girls are fat, when compared to anything new, without a doubt... however, my current wet weight for street setup, is 422.25 lb., and in current race trim, I'm sitting at 405.75 lb.

...of course, that's before my fat @$$ gets on the thing! :D

I'm not sure where I'm sitting for power - I'm anxious to get it on the dyno, just because I'm curious, but it's too pricey to satisfy "just because I'm curious".

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Again just busting your chops, I got one of those pigs in my garage right now too.

10. JNSRacing

Yeah, I know! But, these pigs DO make a great track tool! I would no doubt, rather be on an S1000RR, finance permitting, but at least these old things have got some pedigree - they practically dominated AMA racing for all four years the F2 ran!!
    Though the F2 is a pig, it's like a greased up pig - it for sure still can be caught, but being greasy, it makes it just a little bit harder to do so!

11. JNSRacing

The upper was too bland in all black, so I added some red to it as well, this weekend - I'm liking this much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JNSRacing

Clear coat, graphics, more clear coat, and race numbers finally complete.
    I wish I could afford to hit some races before the season ends, it's gonna seriously suck waiting until next April or May... the MCRA 2013 schedule should be out sometime in November.

[​IMG]

13. JNSRacing

Here's some shots with the finished race plastic (with the exception of buffing) mounted on the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JNSRacing

I re-used a previous backdrop to get a couple of nicer looking shots of the new setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Phase 1 is finished - with the current setup being the starting point for Phase 2.
    My plan is to aquire another F2 with a decent motor and gearbox, that I can ride on the street, so that I can continue with modifications to this machine, keeping it "race only". I'm not looking for a total basket case, but cosmetics in the plastics department are irrelevant, since I have the Hong Kong street plastics that I can put on... I'm just looking for a straight frame and forks, good running motor and gearbox, good brakes, decent looking wheels, that won't need to be powder coated to look nice, and no fluid leaks of any sort - a street legal title would be preferrable, so that I don't have to do a frame swap.
    If any one has one to unload, for a reasonable cost, or knows of one that's available, let me know.

15. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

Why?

16. JNSRacing

It's beefier than the F2 lower triple.

17. Mike 122

Mike 122 Ride!

A Fork Brace can help as well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. F2RGK

F2RGK Smack Talker, but Nice!

Way too much thinking going on here in the last 6-7 pages. Over thinking that is. Just ride the bike already and go from there. Sharkskinz makes a nicer rear section that requires a foam pad that u can get from woodcraft. It comes with a nice aluminum support bracket as well for mounting too. It's a racier look by far! A little pin stripe out line around your number plates will give it a better look too. Angle the numbers so it goes w the flow of the bike too. Factory FX makes nicer numbers to help w that too from parts unlimited. If u can a find a double bubble windscreen, that'll pop that front end better too. Just my two cents worth since you've gone this far. U really need to ride it at this point already. Times a wasting, lol! Cheers!

19. 418

418 Expert #59

Pretty sure he has, this thread is well over a year old. ;)

I for one think a little restoration/racebike prep was pretty cool.

Instead of throwing together a POS, you did one of the most successful racing 600's in the world justice be piecing it together proper.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

+1